Solar Flat Plate draindown system

Discussion in 'Solar and Geothermal Water Heating Forum' started by Rancher, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Rancher

Rancher Guest

What's that thingie at the highest point on a flat plate solar hot water system, that lets the air/steam out but closes when the water hits it.

Is it the same as a watts air vent that's used on an air scoop?

Rancher

2. Bill Arden

Bill Arden Computer Programmer

computer programmer
    Spyrovent?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. BigLou

BigLou New Member

rancher,
    in a word YES. Its not the same thing as a spirovent however. Its just a vent with a float.

Lou

5. Rancher

Rancher Guest

BigLou,

Thanks, do you have a source?

I'm putting mine back on the roof after a 80 mph windstorm, just used a check valve before, thought I'd do it right.

Rancher

6. BigLou

BigLou New Member

7. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Thanks,

The Hy-vent is exactly what I have avaiable to use except it is the Watts brand.

But I don't know how it operates, I understand there is a float inside that closes it off when the air is fully purged, and it kinda makes sense that it re-opens when the water drops.

I want this for freeze protection, i.e. drain down at night.

Rancher