Softner Install & Pool

Users who are viewing this thread

sixgun95

Reaction score
I have a plaster pool, 10yrs old, want a soft water system installed. The pol would be fed automatically with soft water unless some major plumbing work was done so that it was't. Will this harm my pool? Anything I need to do special if I decide to have it fed by the soft water?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a plaster pool, 10yrs old, want a soft water system installed. The pol would be fed automatically with soft water unless some major plumbing work was done so that it was't. Will this harm my pool? Anything I need to do special if I decide to have it fed by the soft water?
I do not recommend using soft water in a pool. I have been told that the soft water will erode the grout as well as cause problems keeping the alkalinity correct.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would avoid feeding the pool with soft water. It has been shown to have some potential to damage pools, this is rarely of concern since the pool could not be filled with soft water completely, the softener would run out of soft water quickly, unless you had a Kinetico or other twin tank design. It is really a waste of salt to top off you pool with soft water. You could bypass the softener if you manually fill your pool, and I have seen where people have made simple modifications with a motorized three way valve that bypasses the softener due to plumbing that could not be bypassed and would feed the irrigation. The same could be done with a pool.

If you do feed your pool with soft water, be sure to size your softener a little larger than normal so as to accomodate the extra usage. It is not unusal to add a few hundred gallons during a day of heavy use. This will be significantly more than the rst of you household use combined.

Be sure to maintain your pH a little more accurately. The soft water should have no negative affect, but you can be sure through proper pH control.

How major would the plumbing work have to be? Many softener installers dont like to do this type of install and you may be better off consulting with a plumber.

LOL, I think I just repeated what Mialynette2003 just said.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks