Softener Drain needs to be moved

Users who are viewing this thread

A12548

Reaction score
Re: Kenmore 300 Series
After some recent slow to little Brine draw, a Sears tech, (yes they still exist) said everything checks ok but said problem may be my drain line, which goes up into attic about 6 feet up then across attic floor to washer drain line. He pulled the drain line off softener and water spurted out from hose, he said that should not be holding water, he blew through and said it seems clear but said I should re route my line. I have a utility sink clear over on other side of garage, Id have to run a drain hose along floor and the picture below shows my sink with drain line tied into washer drain. How can I tap into that pipe, is the slight drop enough to prevent backflow into sink? And I hear about air gaps, any suggestion best way to tie into this? Thanks!

Attachments

• pipe3.jpg
    pipe3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 223

Reach4

Reaction score
It is normally OK to have a softener drain go up 6 ft and over. Water squirting when removed is not an indication of a problem.

The flow will be fine as long as the water pressure coming in is OK. If the water pressure coming in is 40 PSI or more, you should be fine even with 1/2 inch except that you could up that to 3/4 for a really long run.

To check that the flow is OK, see how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon (or other) bucket during backwash. Normal for a 10 inch tank is 3.5 gpm for a 12 inch tank, 2.4 gpm, 2.0 gpm for a 9 inch, and 1.5 gpm for an 8 inch. Backwash is the highest flow, so if the drain line is the limiting factor, the restriction would show up during backwash.

If you decided to run to the laundry tub area, why not squirt into the tub rather than adding a standpipe?

A12548

Reaction score
Do you mean put one end of drain hose into 5 gallon to check flow from a tap? Because my drain hose currently terminates in the attic. But thanks, I was not agreeing with tech about some water squirting out of disconnected line. I would drain it into the utility sink but its in a kind of high traffic walking area, I did contemplate that. Thanks your post is very helpful

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you mean put one end of drain hose into 5 gallon to check flow from a tap? Because my drain hose currently terminates in the attic.
I see. I had not picked up on that.

I would drain it into the utility sink but its in a kind of high traffic walking area,
Backwash is at 2 AM or at a different time if you choose. Walking traffic may be low then, unless you get out of bed for something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks