Softener Airgap

Users who are viewing this thread

Indybipe

Reaction score
Our softener is in our basement with all drain lines overhead. so I want to run it up about six feet to a bath room sink drain just overhead and replace the sink down pipe with one that has a 3/4 inch side pipe ,( one that is used for a dishwasher drain attachment ). Side pipe angles up some.
Can I use the sink type Airgap to hook my Softener drain to it?
Or will there be too much flow for it to handle to drain with out shooting water every where?
My Softener drain spec shows 1.6 gpm max.

Side note, there is a floor drain in the cement floor, though only the furnice A/C drain pipe goes to it and I don't trust the builder put anything more than a pit below it.
We are on city sewer and the house waste line for the entire house drops down from the floor joists and turns to exit the cement wall about 4 feet above cement floor. Thank you.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
I want to run it up about six feet to a bath room sink drain just overhead and replace the sink down pipe with one that has a 3/4 inch side pipe ,( one that is used for a dishwasher drain attachment ).
Check the size of the bathroom tailpiece compared to tailpieces equipped with a dishwasher drain connection. A bathroom sink drain tailpiece will often be 1.25" diameter whereas a kitchen sink drain tailpiece is usually 1.5" diameter. If the correct diameter tailpiece with a side connection is not available to fit your bathroom sink drain, you may need to add a standpipe behind the bathroom vanity for the softener to discharge into.

Indybipe

Reaction score
Check the size of the bathroom tailpiece compared to tailpieces equipped with a dishwasher drain connection. A bathroom sink drain tailpiece will often be 1.25" diameter whereas a kitchen sink drain tailpiece is usually 1.5" diameter. If the correct diameter tailpiece with a side connection is not available to fit your bathroom sink drain, you may need to add a standpipe behind the bathroom vanity for the softener to discharge into.

Reach4

Reaction score
1-1/4 branch tailpieces are rare but exist.
You could perhaps use 1-1/2 drain stuff with a reducing slip joint washer.
index.php

But if you did need the 1-1/4 branch tailpiece, you could maybe find one of these: http://www.gotomahawk.com/products/...lties/brass-tubular/lavatory-branch-tailpiece

Bannerman

Reaction score
In my experience, wash basin drain assemblies are 1.25" and so it is not only the slipjoint connection that is a potential issue, but also the upper connection near the basin.

Great that 1.25" branch tailpieces are available, even if uncommon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks