Slow leak in kitchen drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

pedz55

Reaction score
Hi, we have a slight drip in the plumbing under our kitchen sink that I was about to try and fix (I'm reasonably handy but not a ton of experience with plumbing). The leak is a slow drip from under the clear connector in the picture (only when water is running).

At first I was worried there is no p-trap, but I checked in the basement and it is down there, so that is not an issue.
Any suggestions on the easiest way to fix a slow leak on the clear connector circled below? Adding some thread tape or something else? This is assuming I don't see any structural issues with it.

Appreciate any help you can provide, worried this is going to become a much bigger project than originally expected.

Thanks,
Peter
IMG_9561 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9567 (1).jpeg
    IMG_9567 (1).jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

pedz55

Reaction score
change nut those nuts often have a built in washer that seals the connection or use a nut with seperate beveled washer
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

I took it apart and that nut has no washer in it. Assume that is a problem and should buy one with a washer?
Also, that connecting pipe is in bad shape and has pin holes in it (see light coming through in the pic), which I assume, along with the lack of a washer, is the cause of the leak (otherwise given this pipe goes well into the pipe below it I couldn't see how water was getting out to the nut).

Thanks,
Peter
IMG_9574.jpeg
IMG_9573.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Your installation is not compatible with IPC, because you don't have a vented trap there. The vent could be with an AAV. Have you picked up sewer smells near the kitchen sink drain?

In Canada, I think you could have a vented trap below the floor. But we don't know if there is a trap at all.

If I did not worry about a trap, and just wanted to fix a leak, I would still consider replacing that brass slip joint 45 with a plastic one. Plastic does not corrode. And still replace that nut on the PVC with one that has a separate 1-1/2 inch slip-joint washer.

pedz55

Reaction score
Your installation is not compatible with IPC, because you don't have a vented trap there. The vent could be with an AAV. Have you picked up sewer smells near the kitchen sink drain?

In Canada, I think you could have a vented trap below the floor. But we don't know if there is a trap at all.

If I did not worry about a trap, and just wanted to fix a leak, I would still consider replacing that brass slip joint 45 with a plastic one. Plastic does not corrode. And still replace that nut on the PVC with one that has a separate 1-1/2 inch slip-joint washer.
Thanks, I checked the basement and confirmed there is a p trap down there. And since I found pin holes in the 45 degree metal pipe I’m replacing it with PVC as you suggested.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks