Sleeving 1" PEX underground?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by wombat, Jun 26, 2020.

1. wombat

wombat New Member

The Plumber wants to bore under Slab of a Condo to by pass pre-existing galvanized pipes.
    It will be One Inch PEX. I have read that it's a good idea to Sleeve underground PEX but apparently it is not required by code in WA. It is required by code in CA.

There does not seem to be any pre-sleeved One Inch PEX on the market. One would have to sleeve it in PE .
    It is overkill to insist on Sleeving and if not how big should the PE sleeve pipe be?

2. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

No not overkill at all thats the owner spec good Idea unless he cant bore it . I wouldnt care what it was sleeved in PE is fine . 1 1/2 inch or whatever fits
    Im in CA havent run much pex but havent heard that sleeving was required

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. JohnCT

JohnCT Member

Total amateur observation here, but everything I've read about PEX is that you don't want want anything touching it that can leach chemicals into it. I don't even want to use a Sharpie on mine..

Underground, it seems that ground water could transfer all kinds of goodies into contact with it. I would definitely sleeve it if it were mine.

John

5. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I am not saying you should have sleeving, but if you want that, it seems to me that 1-1/4 or bigger pressure-rated pvc would be better protection. The fact that it is more rigid might make it harder to install however.

Another thing to consider would be some 1-1/4 or bigger SIDR pipe. Much cheaper than PEX in those sizes.

1 inch pex is 1-1/8 od. PVC and SIDR pipe are bigger ID than their nominal sizes.