Sinkmaster removal

Users who are viewing this thread

lncohan

Reaction score
Recently, I replaced my kitchen faucet successfully but found leakage in the pipes underneath the sink. I replaced all of them with PVC and found out that the disposal was leaking. Since it is an old Sinkmaster, I decided to replace it with a new Insinkerator Badger 5+ but found out that the collars are totally different. How do I remove the old Sinkmaster, it seems to be turning with the collar. Pictures would be appreciated if possible.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Sometimes you need to take a hacksaw and cut off the 'nut' on the bottom under the sink. Hold it at a shallow angle and try not to cut any part of the sink. Once the nut is opened, pry it off and then the drain should come out of the sink.

OR Buy the same brand as the one removing and reuse it.

Hope this helps.
Jason

removed-with-sawzal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
you can buy one of those cheap HD wrenches that give you a big grab on those kind of nuts (lol) - I hold on to the threaded part and wrench the nut off. And don't forget, there's a spring loaded split ring that's holding the nut on that the phyical garburator is spun onto! you need to pry that puppy off with a flathead and it will come apart easily from there... watch your eyes and your hands, when you're putting the new split ring on with the Badger 5 as well as taking off the old...

lncohan

Reaction score
removing sinkmaster

I'm not sure I explained myself well. I am trying to remove the disposal itself. Once that is off, I think I can do the rest. Thanks for the responses so far.

ge01734

Reaction score
replace Sinkmaster 450 Disposer

I too ran into the same problem. The chopping blades broke off and the disposal is rusted out. I tried to remove the disposal, but it just turns on the base. Did you ever get it removed?

Thanks,

Don

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to hold the disposer and turn the big fat nut to the left. Disposers are made to turn easy so you can line up the pipes and/or discharge line. Getting the new one is a real challenge if you have never done one before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks