sink P-trap with hvac condensate drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dcuellar, Jan 14, 2014.

1. dcuellar

dcuellar New Member

I'm looking for a satin nickel p-trap with an extension pipe that has an opening (similar to a garbage disposal tee) to accept an HVAC condensate drain line.

The pvc ones are easy to find but does anyone have any experience with a decorative one for a custom home? It will be visible.

2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

The condensate line must discharge into an air gap.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. dcuellar

dcuellar New Member

Tailpipe on P trap

I realize the condensate line must discharge before the u-bend but I'm looking for a tailpipe extension that has a connection similar to that found on pipe from a garbage disposal. These I can get in pvc. I'm looking for a metal one.

5. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

Your better off sticking with plastic as condensate water is acidic and will eat through metal.

6. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

Eastman markets chrome finished 22 gauge branch tailpieces.

7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I'm not sure you understand what is meant by condensation lines draining into an air gap. This means it can not connect solidly. I drains similar to a washing machine, just on a smaller scale. Just for clarity, what you call a U-bend is commonl a P trap.

8. dcuellar

dcuellar New Member

Eastman tailpiece

Thank you. Do you have a web link for Eastman? No luck on my google searches.

Cheers

9. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

You can not dump the condensate line into the fitting you want to use.

Condensate must drain into an indirect waste using an air gap or air break.

802.1.5 NonPotable clear water waste

Where devices and equipment such as process tanks, filters, drips and boilers discharge non-potable water to the building drainage system, the discharge shall be through an indirect waste pipe by means of an air break or an air gap

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    quote; This means it can not connect solidly. I drains similar to a washing machine, just on a smaller scale.

I don't know where you get your information, but in this area MOST A/C condensate lines DO disharge into a branch tailpiece and NONE of them have "air gaps". Get a chrome 1 1/4" threaded brass branch tailpiece, (most plumbing and big box stores have them), and then "rub" it with steel wool to give it the satin stainless steel look.

11. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

802.1.5 NonPotable clear water waste

Where devices and equipment such as process tanks, filters, drips and boilers discharge non-potable water to the building drainage system, the discharge shall be through an indirect waste pipe by means of an air break or an air gap