Sink and unknown cleanout in 100 year old house

Users who are viewing this thread

newrenovator

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently bought an older home, and I am planning on having the basement floor repoured.

Before I do, I want to make sure the plumbing buried in the old concrete is good to go. There is a slop sink in the basement that I would like to keep there. It drains into an old cast iron pipe in the floor. About 2 feet behind the sink is a cast iron cleanout. I am sure it is connected to the sink, because when the sink drains, the water in the cleanout starts moving. There is a plug sitting next to the cleanout but it no longer fits on the old rusty pipe.

I am trying to figure out how these are connected/what the cleanout might be for. I am also trying to figure out if I should excavate and try to have it replaced before pouring the new floor, or just try to use PVC & some kind of coupling to lengthen the drain and the cleanout so they will stay over the top of the new concrete.

I also know that often when there are two cleanouts next to each other, they are part of a whole home trap. I know this is not the building trap as that exists elsewhere.

See my photos attached. Any thoughts?

-Confused new homeowner

Attachments

• IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3977.jpg
    IMG_3977.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 254

WorthFlorida

New chemo regiment started Aug 20th.
Solutions
Reaction score
Repour, do you mean break up the old floor? Then replace all plumbing with PVC and plumb for a future bathroom, etc.

You might have something like this cast iron trap. Instead of a drain cover you have a threaded cap.

upload_2019-1-20_10-44-26.jpeg