Sink and unknown cleanout in 100 year old house

Users who are viewing this thread

newrenovator

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently bought an older home, and I am planning on having the basement floor repoured.

Before I do, I want to make sure the plumbing buried in the old concrete is good to go. There is a slop sink in the basement that I would like to keep there. It drains into an old cast iron pipe in the floor. About 2 feet behind the sink is a cast iron cleanout. I am sure it is connected to the sink, because when the sink drains, the water in the cleanout starts moving. There is a plug sitting next to the cleanout but it no longer fits on the old rusty pipe.

I am trying to figure out how these are connected/what the cleanout might be for. I am also trying to figure out if I should excavate and try to have it replaced before pouring the new floor, or just try to use PVC & some kind of coupling to lengthen the drain and the cleanout so they will stay over the top of the new concrete.

I also know that often when there are two cleanouts next to each other, they are part of a whole home trap. I know this is not the building trap as that exists elsewhere.

See my photos attached. Any thoughts?

-Confused new homeowner

Attachments

• IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3977.jpg
    IMG_3977.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 216

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Repour, do you mean break up the old floor? Then replace all plumbing with PVC and plumb for a future bathroom, etc.

You might have something like this cast iron trap. Instead of a drain cover you have a threaded cap.

upload_2019-1-20_10-44-26.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks