Siding spots

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I noticed today that I have black spots on the siding of my addition. Is it possible that it is mold? If, so, does anyone know what to do? What would I use to scrub them off, and keep it away? Thank you.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
ArtilleryFungus.jpg

Does it look like this? This pic is enlarged. This is shotgun mold.

Last edited:

TedL

Reaction score
And most likely not on the sunny side of the house.

Wash with a mix intended to remove mildew. Buy it at a big box, or make your own.

I use this mix, starting with an empty 1 gal jug:
1 qt laundry leach
1 cup laundry detergent (liquid mixes easiest)
1 cup general purpose cleaner (Simple green, Mr Clean, Spic-'N-Span,...whatever but *** NO AMMONIA***)
warm water to fill the gallon

I spray on with an ordinary garden sprayer (pump up), and highly recommend using liquids for items 2 & 3 if you intend to do the same, as the powders don't disolve as easily and can clog the screen. Brush as needed before rinsing.

Cookie

Reaction score
Cass, if that picture is greatly enlarged, then, yep, it does.

The deck gets a full sun, but, this side of the addition it is sheltered.

I will try that mixture, once, the weather breaks. Thank you.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Possibly bug do...? Sap? Are there cafes in the area where grease in the air might cause these deposits? (If it grows then it's a mold) Be careful using bleach...it might lighten the color of the siding....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks