Shutoff Valve problem (pics attached)

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
am having a problem with one of the plunge-type shut off valves.

These valves were installed so that I could bypass the big blue filters but still have water to the house.
I also use the valves to shut the water to filters when the filters need to be changed.

But I am having a problem with the plunger not sealing completely.
When I close the plunger and then open the gate valve a the end to drain the big blue filter, you can still hear water getting by the plunger valve.
So I know it is not completely sealing....

Is there a way to fix these? How?

Thanks for the help.
mike

3316933397_14686be674_b.jpg

3317759634_472511eab8_b.jpg

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
My solution

That is about one of the nicest jobs I have seen
as far as soldering and straight lines go...I would like to hire the fellow that did that work...

it would be a darn shame to tear that all pretty workmanship out over just a slight leak...cause that is probably what you are going to have to do...

I would never try to put new o rings in one of those old bypasses.

I think you are screwed, cause once you fool with one you are in big trouble...

I suggest you get a piece of heavy wire and a coffe can
and just hang it under that bypass valve to catch that
peskey drip till it stops leaking on its own......:D:D

maxwell house coffe comes in a blue can
that comes close to matching those filters.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is about one of the nicest jobs I have seen
as far as soldering and straight lines go...I would like to hire the fellow that did that work...

it would be a darn shame to tear that all pretty workmanship out over just a slight leak...cause that is probably what you are going to have to do...

I would never try to put new o rings in one of those old bypasses.

I think you are screwed, cause once you fool with one you are in big trouble...

I suggest you get a piece of heavy wire and a coffe can
and just hang it under that bypass valve to catch that
peskey drip till it stops leaking on its own......:D:D

maxwell house coffe comes in a blue can
that comes close to matching those filters.....

Thanks for the compliments. I just wish he had used ball valves instead of the plunger valves...oh well.
The good thing is that it is not leaking onto the floor or when water is being used.
Rather it only leaks when I close the valve. And it is leaking across to the other side, forcing me to shut down the main when I want to change that filter.

mike

Reaction score
One of the end caps unscrew and the plunger can be removed. It has 3 or 4 o rings on the plunger. Take them at a hardware store and match them up. If you can not find them, they are made by Tarus valves. Contact them to find replacement o rings.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!
Didn't realize they came apart like that......

TedL

Reaction score
That looks like a container of petroleum jelly sitting atop the lower filter. When you replace the o-rings, get some silicone lube for plumbing, like Dow 111 or the $4 small container at the blue box. No petro based products on o-rings!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks