Shower System question

Users who are viewing this thread

Alecstar

Reaction score
Can you use a tub spout/handles/shower head/control valve setup and just use the handle, shower head and control valve. The reason I am asking is that there are a lot more choices with units that have a tub spout. Can you "block off" the part of the valve that would normally go to the spout? Thank you.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you use a tub spout/handles/shower head/control valve setup and just use the handle, shower head and control valve. The reason I am asking is that there are a lot more choices with units that have a tub spout. Can you "block off" the part of the valve that would normally go to the spout? Thank you.
There is likley a system for the configuration you want. What are you trying to achieve?

Reach4

Reaction score
How about getting a valve that is made for just a tub spout, with no special shower port. Then pipe the shower from the tub port.

If you just blocked the tub port, you might be left with two off positions and confuse things a bit.

Alecstar

Reaction score
There is likley a system for the configuration you want. What are you trying to achieve?
I know that they make what I want, but my point is that the selection is much better when you buy the ones that come with a tub spout. I go to Home Depot or Lowes and I'll see something I like but it comes with a tub spout versus the limited selection of ones that do not. It's all about the selection.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know that they make what I want, but my point is that the selection is much better when you buy the ones that come with a tub spout. I go to Home Depot or Lowes and I'll see something I like but it comes with a tub spout versus the limited selection of ones that do not. It's all about the selection.
My point is they likley make it for shower only. Your just not seeing it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your purpose was making that point? I think the question about what you are trying to achieve was to ask about your longer term objective. Is that to have a valve for your shower without having to discard a spout that you don't need?

Alecstar

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if I buy the unit with the tub spout... can I make it work without actually using the tub spout. We are looking for a black basic unit and black ones are not that popular it seems... so I was trying to broaden my choices by seeing if I could buy the unit with the spout and make it work. All I was looking for was a simple yes or no.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Delta r 10000 rough valve shower only. Then you can buy whatever trim you want from delta. They have a flat black I think and about anything else you can imagine as far as trim goes.

You can buy the rough valve with any kind of inlet connection also. There's no reason to make it hard when it can be easy.

If you want to buy a valve and make alterations you can do that also, but why? If you sweat it there's a chance you drip solder inside of the valve and mess it up, if you screw it there a chance it leaks. Might as well get what you want and have the function well as the look you want.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if I buy the unit with the tub spout... can I make it work without actually using the tub spout. We are looking for a black basic unit and black ones are not that popular it seems... so I was trying to broaden my choices by seeing if I could buy the unit with the spout and make it work. All I was looking for was a simple yes or no.
So originally you seemed too be asking if you bought a valve that two output ports, one for shower and one for tub, could you run one port to the shower and plug the port intended to to the tub. That would be yes, but...

...but you could just buy a valve with one output port, and run that just to the shower. Are you saying they don't sell a one-output-port one at Home Depot that has the trim you like? What valve do you see at HD that you like the looks of?

Alecstar

Reaction score
So originally you seemed too be asking if you bought a valve that two output ports, one for shower and one for tub, could you run one port to the shower and plug the port intended to to the tub. That would be yes, but...

...but you could just buy a valve with one output port, and run that just to the shower. Are you saying they don't sell a one-output-port one at Home Depot that has the trim you like? What valve do you see at HD that you like the looks of?
We are just beginning to look for a unit. I wanted my question answered before I started looking in case I did see one that came with a spout that I really liked. I also look on eBay and there are all kinds of discontinued items...with spouts... so it made sense to ask first... buy second. It sounds like I just have to block/plug the outlet to the spout and I'm good to go from what you are saying. THAT is what I wanted to hear. Thanks to you and the others that responded.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was saying that you could do that, but if you just blocked the tub port, you might be left with two off positions and confuse things a bit. So not what I would call good, but it would succeed in the primary mission.

But IF the included spout is a diverter spout, then the valve would have a single output port. In that case, then you are good.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks