Shower stall escutcheon blues...

Users who are viewing this thread

nowhere

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a shower stall with two knob style valves coming out of the wall seperately. The old knobs and escutcheon were removed prior to purchase of the house and are not around. The current valve stems installed don't seem to have the threading to allow the plastic threaded tube to be screwed in, thus allowing the escutcheon to be screw on to that.

Also, I have not removed a valve yet but just eyeballing them with the ones from home depot the ones in the wall seem smaller. I need to get this dump on the market ASAP so is there a quick way to attach the escutcheon so the holes in the wall don't show? Will putty or caulk hold them securely enough? They are not that much bigger in diameter than the knobs.

Please help!
Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
escutcheons

In the first place HD will only have one or two different styles of escutcheons. You have to find the make and model of the valve so you get the correct type of connections. Some flange holders screw on the outside of the valve body. A plumber could probably determine the make or a picture on this site MIGHT help, if the valve is unique enough.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Two choices:

1) Replace stems, sleeves, and escutcheons -- for about 25 dollars.

2) Fill the inside of the threaded sleeves with caulk and set them in place over the valve stems. Wait a day and then screw the escutcheons onto them -- for about 25 cents.

If you do number 2, keep in mind that the next person who works on that shower will be really pissed off!! ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks