Shower modification without cracking open the tiles

Users who are viewing this thread

Jinster

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am new to the forum and I am not a plumber. I hope I can describe this well enough for someone to help me.

There are three "outlets" on the wall of the shower. A cold tap, a hot tap, and an actual water outlet with a shower rose attached to it. My understanding with this setup is that two pipes beyond the two taps will mix to form a single pipe, and that supplies the rose. When the taps are closed, water do not flow beyond the two taps, and so the connecting pipes beyond them have no water in them.

I want to modify the setup with an external mixer tap with external mixing/supply pipes, like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bathroom...605838?hash=item338fc8604e:g:TcgAAOxyrrpTjXdl

I will obviously need to cap off the existing outlet at the top of the shower.

My concern is: will the new setup cause hot and cold water to enter the existing mixing pipes? So that despite capping off the existing outlet at the shower rose, without the existing hot/cold taps, there will be constantly the mixing of hot and cold water through the existing mixing pipes (unseen), and that water might even go retrograde from the cold into the hot due to pressure imbalance?

Put it another way, does the new external setup simply screw onto the outer rim of the existing tap outlets and that's it, or, will it insert itself into the hot/cold tap outlets and also permanently block off their exits to the existing unseen mixing pipe?

Without the product in front of me, being an online purchase, it's hard to tell how the connection works.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You cannot connect this to your existing faucet. You would have to remove the existing valve and re-adjust the hot and cold pipes so that they stick out of the wall with a hole center distance of 15cm (6").

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks