Shower Flange, IPS or Copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Abspara

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask the experts. I am in the process of beginning to order a part to replace a shower flange and I wanted to ask which one should I use. The pipe is 1/2 copper, however when I go to order, they have two different choices. I wanted to find out can I use either one, and if not, why? Sorry new to this and trying to learn as I go. Thanks much.

IPS Flange: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-IPS-Metal-Tube-Flange-2-Pack-C75C/205154231

Copper Tube Flange: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-Copper-Tube-Flange-2-Pack-C76C/205154177

Reach4

Reaction score
IPS stands for Iron Pipe Size, and for a given nominal size, IPS OD is bigger. So if this went on your copper pipe, you would want copper pipe. Are you looking to put a copper pipe through this, or are you looking to put a threaded shower arm through there? Those have a 1/2 inch NPT thread, so I think those would be IPS.

Last edited:

Abspara

Reaction score
I'll be putting the flange over a copper pipe that is already sticking out of the wall and then attaching a Vacuum Breaker to it. It's a replacement flange for a hand held shower head.

Thanks for helping me understand so far, I'm looking to just replace a flange that has become really rusty and trying to figure out the best one to order. Do you feel the copper pipe flange or the IPS flange would be the better option for my situation?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a caliper to measure what you are going to use? Copper pipe is 0.625 (5/8) inch OD. Iron pipe size is 0.84 OD. That is a pretty big difference. You could probably tell the difference even with your steel tape measure.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps by "copper pipe" the OP is referring to a red brass nipple extending thru the wall. That would
be very common, whereas, as hj said, a vacuum breaker attaching to a 1/2 in C.W.T. stub would be
extremely peculiar.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks