Shower controller for thin wall or ?

Users who are viewing this thread

JDWellness

Reaction score
I have a self contained shower being installed up against an enclosed circular stairway. Originally the plan was to put the controller in the corner of the shower unit but the self contained unit has a flexible and curved plastic wall component there so it cannot accomodate a flat controller that needs a solid surface to connect to.

Is there a unit that houses the controller more on the inside of the shower than in the wall that I can use to address this space problem or is there another type of controller where the actual valve(s) are separate from the control handle so I can tuck the controller in the dead corner of the circular stairway where there is space, as there is not enough room for a traditional controller that would typically be attached to the side of the shower?

Thanks for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You would need to add some backing, otherwise, you'd probably just crack your flexible wall of the shower enclosure with any of those. Typically, what's done is called a thin-wall installation. Slight variations depending on the valve, but typically, instead of removing the plaster guard, you leave it installed, and then sandwich that against the back of the hole in the wall with the trim plate, which then holds the valve in place. The valve does stick out the back of the enclosure, and if you don't have enough room, that won't work.

JDWellness

Reaction score
You would need to add some backing, otherwise, you'd probably just crack your flexible wall of the shower enclosure with any of those. Typically, what's done is called a thin-wall installation. Slight variations depending on the valve, but typically, instead of removing the plaster guard, you leave it installed, and then sandwich that against the back of the hole in the wall with the trim plate, which then holds the valve in place. The valve does stick out the back of the enclosure, and if you don't have enough room, that won't work.

Are you referring to the exposed valve units or some other type of unit? The exposed valve units should work as I have enough room to run the hot and cold pipes in the wall, just not enough room for a large controller - I will add support for the exposed valve unit so there is not stress on the plastic panel...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If all you have room for is the pipes in the wall, you may not have enough room to add the required safety bits. You'd have to read the installation instructions carefully to determine whether they can be remoted very far from the valves they serve. Almost all of the code compatible 2-handle jobs have their guts in the wall, so probably won't work for you. There a few external ones. This one may not have your desired style, but it has two handles, is external, and code compatible...only the plumbing supplies come in from the rear. I have a similar one, but it also has a tub spout.

JDWellness

Reaction score
If all you have room for is the pipes in the wall, you may not have enough room to add the required safety bits. You'd have to read the installation instructions carefully to determine whether they can be remoted very far from the valves they serve. Almost all of the code compatible 2-handle jobs have their guts in the wall, so probably won't work for you. There a few external ones. This one may not have your desired style, but it has two handles, is external, and code compatible...only the plumbing supplies come in from the rear. I have a similar one, but it also has a tub spout.
Which one is -> This one may not have your desired style?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks