Shower cold and hot reversed??!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Roger Bay

Reaction score
I have a problem with my shower in which cold and hot are reversed, water gets colder CCW, and hotter when turned CW toward the off position. So I'm wondering if I have a plumbing problem (hot/cold pipes reversed), or if somehow this Gerber 95-154 cartridge can be installed incorrectly such that cold and hot appear to be reversed. I know the cartridge is keyed such that it can't be put in backwards, but what I'm wondering is if the temperature stop (red ring that sets how hot it can get) can be put on wrong such that this happens. I've attached a photo of the cartridge and of the plumbing that it mates to. TIA.

Attachments

• 2 cartridge side with.jpg
    2 cartridge side with.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 4 plumbing with cartridge removed).jpg
    4 plumbing with cartridge removed).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 3 cartridge top.jpg
    3 cartridge top.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 302

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the brands and models of cartridges CAN be flipped 180-degrees. Some of them will allow the shaft to be rotated 180-degrees before the handle is installed, which does the same thing. Don't know about this brand/model. Otherwise, hot should be on the left coming in unless it allows it to be flipped (fairly common on back-to-back shower installs) to minimize plumbing complexity.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, cold should ALWAYS be the first temperature, regardless of which way the handle rotates so this one is wrong. That cartridge cannot be rotated 180 degrees, but I will take a guess and say that if you remove the "C"shaped snap ring, remove the white cam, rotate the stem 180 degrees then replace the cam EXACTLY LIKE IT WAS in the faucet, then put the retainer back on, it will work properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks