Should anti corrosive paste been used on a copper connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Just to inform anyone interested why there are maintenance people needed when it comes to buildings no matter how new. For seven years I maintained a 16,ooo sq.ft. church with a completion date of May 2010. I was always amazed how something broke every week even from the very beginning including the 11 air conditioners, walk in freezer and refrigerator, fire alarm system, burglar alarm and security systems, computers, well motors, parking lot lights and even an occasional plugged up toilet not including all of the lawn maintenance equipment.

Below is a picture I received today from my former co worker who replaced me on my retirement. You're looking at a control box for the three phase submersible 7.5 hp irrigation pump. This box is mounted outside next to the well. It appears to me that the two top connections loosen or corroded. More likely corroded and heat started to build up. This is located in South Florida in Palm Beach County and the humidity is always high. The circuit breaker never tripped and no one was hurt but it just shows that just about everything needs periodic inspection. Wires were checked at the circuit panel and there were no signs of overheating. The other wires in this panel do not show overheating, therefore, it looks like the pump motor is OK. A clamp meter will be used to check currents of each phase after repairs. The switch on the right is a a non fused cutoff switch and it will be replaced.

IMG_2133.JPG

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I think so and it did enter my mind after I wrote this post.

The building was hit in Aug 2011 and did about $8000 in damage. Lightning struck the cross (has a lightning rod on it) on the top front of the building and this was well away from it but an AC compressor nearby was completely damaged. It damaged a remote firearm panel and the power supply for a lighting controller. The best part is a surge protector at the 400 amp entrance panel did blow out and probably saved many other electrical items. As others had told me, problems did arise for almost a year, particularly fluorescent tubes going out and ballasts.

S. Florida is one of the lightning capitals of the world and it could have been from another lightning strike nearby but never had any damage since then that I know of.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One hassle with surges is that their effects can be cumulative. It's like chopping down a tree, it doesn't happen with the first chop...it takes many, but things get weaker with each one. Once you reach the tipping point, bad things can escalate. I'm a big advocate of power panel surge suppression, and supplemental ones on the expensive stuff for double protection. Not all are created equal, either.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I recently talked to Mike at this church and he replaced everything in this box and the three phase breaker at the main panel. With lightning you never know what hidden damage there might be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks