Should a tile with a hairline crack in a shower floor tile be replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

tonyttt

Reaction score
Hello,
I am purchasing a condo and it was found that there is a cracked tile on the floor of the shower. The sellers had a tile person look at it and his response is as follow:

"I am not concerned about the micro crack as you can barley see it and there is no danger of this being a problem for leaks / this type of shower system is the standard old mud pack style that lets water soak through the grout lines then fills the mud pack below and it then wicks to the drain area"

I have attached a picture of the crack. Does anyone have a feeling if the above statement is accurate? If it is an accurate statement, are there any tips to help determine if the installer correctly set the base of the shower such that the water that soaks through the crack (or grout for that matter) will wick through the mud pack and make its way to the drain without causing damage to sides and below the shower. The tile person claims that he did test the surrounding walls and did not detect moisture.
Thanks for any comments!

Attachments

• Cracked tile.pdf
    188.6 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Neither tile nor grout is considered the waterproofing in a shower...it is a decorative wear surface. IF the shower is built right, it's just a cosmetic fault. Now, WHY it cracked may indicate some other problem, but it being cracked should not affect the shower or produce any leaks. IF someone dropped something on it, I'd not worry. Otherwise, cracks imply movement, and movement should not occur in a shower.

tonyttt

Reaction score
Neither tile nor grout is considered the waterproofing in a shower...it is a decorative wear surface. IF the shower is built right, it's just a cosmetic fault. Now, WHY it cracked may indicate some other problem, but it being cracked should not affect the shower or produce any leaks. IF someone dropped something on it, I'd not worry. Otherwise, cracks imply movement, and movement should not occur in a shower.

Thank you, that was helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks