Shark Bite on older RV PEX (NOT poly)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Missionstreet, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Missionstreet

Missionstreet New Member

I have a pair of leaky 1/2" crimped elbows in my '98 RV that I'm sure are PEX as it says printed on the line.

My question is, due to the "etched" printing on this dated piping, will there be a problem using the SB fitting? It felt a bit rough slipping the connections together.

2. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

Not that fond of PEX or shark bites PEX is made to seal on inside Sharkbites seal on OD of pipe so imprinted stamping could be sketchy. However Sharkbites do perform decent put it on test and take your chances. On an RV I'd use a barb with a hoseclamp in your situation before I'd use the Sharkbite over bumpy pipe. don't mean to scare you off if its already done might be a decent fix.

Reach4 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Reach4 likes this.
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could re-crimp.

Jeff's idea of a hose clamp sounds good. Is there maybe space alongside the existing clamp to add a worm-gear hose clamp? How about wrapping many tight wraps of strong fishing line around the existing ring/clamp, and then tightly tying.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021