Sharing trap arm for 2 drains

Users who are viewing this thread

Philip.I

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm replacing my shower/tub combo with separates and had a question on drainage. As you can see in image, original combo had a 1 1/2" pipe tying into the vent and drain line. I'm wondering for plumbing shower and bath separates:
1. Can I drain shower and tub down same trap arm (with both having separate p traps to tie into it)? Shower drain would reduce from 2" to 1 1/2" after ~4'.
2. Or can I have separate trap arms join right at the 1 1/2" opening shown in the photo?

Note: Shower is further and would slope 1/4" per 12".

Attachments

• IMG_20210310_152940.jpg
    IMG_20210310_152940.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 367

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those are the UPC answers. The OP is under the IPC, which is more lenient on some of these questions.

Both the tub and shower are 2 DFUs (assuming the showerhead(s) put out less than 5.7 gpm), and so can use a 1-1/2" trap, although 2" is more standard for showers. But where the drains combine, you have 4 DFUs, so you'd have to use a 2" branch drain (1-1/2" is limited to 3 DFUs under the IPC). Given that, you might as well use a 2" trap for the shower (and you could use a 2" trap for the tub if you like).

That means you can't connect both fixtures to the existing 1-1/2" pipe. You'll need to replace fittings back to where it's at least 2". The 1-1/2" vent is still fine, though.

As for the vent, the IPC does actually allow "horizontal common venting" of two fixtures, where their trap arms can combine and then continue to a single vent for both fixtures. (IPC 911.2)

https://up.codes/viewer/colorado/ipc-2018/chapter/9/vents#911.2

Each fixture has to individually meet the maximum trap arm length limit relative to that common vent. That's 6' for a 1-1/2" trap and 8' for a 2" trap. Note that achieving those lengths requires a perfect 1/4" per foot slope, no extra slope. That's to comply with the trap weir rule, which limits the total fall of the trap arm to one pipe diameter.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good call Wayne. I'd run a 2 inch because that's code here . but if minimum is 1 1/2 over there go for it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks