Sharing The Same Source To Independently Power 2 Separate Lights??

Users who are viewing this thread

tsingerjr

Reaction score
I'm attempting to connect my outside porch light and interior room lights on the same circuit. The interior room light is has a 3 way switch at one and and a dimmer switch at the other end. I connected everything up and when I flip the room light switch off, it wont allow me to turn the porch light on. I attached a drawing of the setup.

Is their anyway that I can use the same source (Circuit) to power both lights, but have them work independently?

thanks,
Tommy

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 163

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your diagram is off, where you have 5 black wires connected together, one of the wires from the single pole switch should instead go directly to your porch light.

If you wire it up as per the corrected diagram, it will work. Given the problem you are having, you've wired it up differently. Presumably the feed to the single pole switch is coming from one of the travelers, rather than from a hot wire.

Cheers, Wayne

tsingerjr

Reaction score
Hey Wayne, thanks. Actually, my drawing is off. I have 3 black wired together and the one black on the top of the single switch terminal goes directly to the light. I attached an updated pic.

Attachments

• wire 2.jpg
    wire 2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
There should not be a red line going from the switch at the top of the page to the light.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks