Sharing The Same Source To Independently Power 2 Separate Lights??

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by tsingerjr, Mar 13, 2021.

1. tsingerjr

tsingerjr New Member

I'm attempting to connect my outside porch light and interior room lights on the same circuit. The interior room light is has a 3 way switch at one and and a dimmer switch at the other end. I connected everything up and when I flip the room light switch off, it wont allow me to turn the porch light on. I attached a drawing of the setup.

Is their anyway that I can use the same source (Circuit) to power both lights, but have them work independently?

thanks,
    Tommy

Attached Files:

2. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

Your diagram is off, where you have 5 black wires connected together, one of the wires from the single pole switch should instead go directly to your porch light.

If you wire it up as per the corrected diagram, it will work. Given the problem you are having, you've wired it up differently. Presumably the feed to the single pole switch is coming from one of the travelers, rather than from a hot wire.

Cheers, Wayne

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. tsingerjr

tsingerjr New Member

Hey Wayne, thanks. Actually, my drawing is off. I have 3 black wired together and the one black on the top of the single switch terminal goes directly to the light. I attached an updated pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  5. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Have to find steady hot and neutral just like diagram. Is there a receptical below the switch by chance.

6. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

There should not be a red line going from the switch at the top of the page to the light.

Cheers, Wayne

7. tsingerjr

tsingerjr New Member

8. tsingerjr

tsingerjr New Member

Thanks! I was actually able to pull a hot off that receptacle and that did the trick!