Shallow underground pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

rowdy235

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wanting to put in a hose spigot at my shop for washing cars and flushing boat motor etc. My shop is about 100’ away from my pump house, but the septic drain field runs between the two, so digging deep with the pipe is not really an option.

I was thinking about burying the pipe pretty shallow (like 6”) and putting a shutoff inside the pump house. In the winter when there’s a chance of freezing I would turn off and open the valve on the other end. I already have some pex left over from a project that I would be using.

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas or sees any issues with my plan?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a long run of poly to the vegetable garden buried about 6 inches deep across my septic field. I blow the line out in the Fall using an air compressor.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
trapping water might be an issue, or forgetting to blow it out soon enough. not as good as being properly buried . but i think you can pull it off without issue you could even sleeve it in a conduit and pull a new line later if you never want to dig again

rowdy235

Reaction score
Thanks guys, sounds like it’s feasible at least. I have some slope between the pump house and shop so that should help with draining the water. We don’t have too harsh of a climate here in my neck of the woods- so would really only need to be worried in the dead of winter.

thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
trapping water might be an issue, or forgetting to blow it out soon enough.
Any water trapped in a belly should not damage PEX. A decent compressor would blow out all the water. Not blowing it out soon enough would mostly affect above ground sections. It takes a long time for frost to penetrate six inches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks