Sewer Lines and Static Water Test

Users who are viewing this thread

g_guerrero19

Reaction score
New to the forum, I hope I posted this in the correct location. We have lived at our home for 7 years and I need to move for work. The buyer requested a static water test, we agreed. The plumber came out and blocked the line on the street side and began filling the line. The water reaches a certain level and would not fill any higher, nor would it drain lower after removing the hose. He said it looks like you have a leak, and it must be fairly big since the water was evacuating as fast as it was filling. I am wondering if the water is not fully blocked off. The previous owner added a second 3” drain line that starts on the opposite corner of the house and runs around the house to tie into the street just past the line the plumber blocked off. I am wondering if this new line is connected into the old system too, and this is why the water only reaches a certain level. We have seen no settling issues or swampy soil with our slab home. I’m wondering what the forum thinks it is.. this is the first slab home I’ve ever had, I had never heard of drain line leaks like this before this test.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A hydrostatic test requires a 10-foot head (5 PSI)

You should ask for a video inspection of the sewer to see if there is some connection that is not being tested Capped.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your theory sounds reasonable to me. How was the blocking done-- Cherne expandable test plug on the end of an air hose? I wonder if the plug could be moved downstream, after the wye, to block both paths to the sewer.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you have 2 sewer tie ins , Ive never seen it but possible , are you filling the entire home up through the roof ? or just trying to fill to or near slab height ? could be a clean out busted on other side of house underground? why you agreed to that test I dont know

sajesak

Reaction score
New to the forum, I hope I posted this in the correct location. We have lived at our home for 7 years and I need to move for work. The buyer requested a static water test, we agreed. The plumber came out and blocked the line on the street side and began filling the line. The water reaches a certain level and would not fill any higher, nor would it drain lower after removing the hose. He said it looks like you have a leak, and it must be fairly big since the water was evacuating as fast as it was filling. I am wondering if the water is not fully blocked off. The previous owner added a second 3” drain line that starts on the opposite corner of the house and runs around the house to tie into the street just past the line the plumber blocked off. I am wondering if this new line is connected into the old system too, and this is why the water only reaches a certain level. We have seen no settling issues or swampy soil with our slab home. I’m wondering what the forum thinks it is.. this is the first slab home I’ve ever had, I had never heard of drain line leaks like this before this test. Moroccan desert tours invite you to explore the timeless beauty of the Sahara, where you can ride camels, sleep under the stars, and immerse yourself in the rich Berber culture. Embark on an extraordinary adventure through captivating landscapes and ancient traditions.
How do you test Sanitary Sewer Systems with code-approved double sweep clean-out. I always put a test ball in the clean-out and test at Slab Level. Some pull a toilet, but I think pulling a toilet is not needed.

g_guerrero19

Reaction score
A hydrostatic test requires a 10-foot head (5 PSI)

You should ask for a video inspection of the sewer to see if there is some connection that is not being tested Capped.
We have a second plumber coming out to do the camera teat this week.

g_guerrero19

Reaction score
you have 2 sewer tie ins , Ive never seen it but possible , are you filling the entire home up through the roof ? or just trying to fill to or near slab height ? could be a clean out busted on other side of house underground? why you agreed to that test I dont know
Looks like the second line was added to pick up an added bathroom, and then drains for an outdoor shower and outdoor kitchen (which was never built).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
not real clear what you attempted to do or what was done with 2 tie ins at street or how high you want to fill or even how you could observe the water on this test. you hired a plumber of cource he can put water but if it wont hold leak could be anywhere

Reach4

Reaction score
With under-slab drain lines, when adding a new bathroom etc, it is often best to feed the new waste out the back, route around the house, and wye into the sewer line in the front yard.

In IPC, that line can often have a slope of 1/8 inch per foot.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
With under-slab drain lines, when adding a new bathroom etc, it is often best to feed the new waste out the back, route around the house, and wye into the sewer line in the front yard.

In IPC, that line can often have a slope of 1/8 inch per foot.
g guerro 19 stated in post 1 the previous owner ran a new line out to the street something Ive never seen or heard of. How that would have any bearing on this test I dont know I think the new section wont get tested at all or its likely he dosent know what he is talking about and the back section is tied in as Reach 4 mentions

Reach4

Reaction score
I had missed the part about the extra line going right to the street.

Reach4

Reaction score
OP agreed to a presales sewer pressure test. He expects that there is a connection between the older and newer drainage systems, with a result of not being able to get the full head for the test.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I understand that part its the details , if sewer isnt plugged off there is no test . we usually / pretty much always let buyer hire and pay for inspection if he hires incompetant inspection services thats the buyers problem. gguerro19 isnt telling us whats going on to where it makes sence, id help but its a waste of time at this point

Reach4

Reaction score
In retrospect, I am sure OP had done what you say.

I am not sure how much head the test achieved, but I am wondering if the suspected crossover is a vent rather than a drain pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks