Sewage ejector pump intermittently trips GFCI breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

mangoManFT

Reaction score
I have a Liberty sewage ejector pump outside my house. It is plugged into an outside GFCI outlet. Intermittently, the GFCI breaker trips and the pump doesn't run. If I reset the breaker, the pump runs again. There doesn't seem to be any particular event that triggers the breaker trips, as far as I can tell. Sometimes it trips once a day, sometimes it's fine for a week. I thought it was the GFCI outlet receptacle itself, but I replaced it and the trips are still happening.

The pump was installed 8 years ago. It is a Liberty P372LE51. It has never been serviced, but the manual doesn't state any recommended periodic maintenance.

What could be causing the GFCI trips? Could a clogged impeller cause a GFCI trip? I have not opened up the pump to check the wires, so I suppose that somehow one of the wires could be shorting with fluids in the chamber. Or is it a sign the pump is going bad? I hoped this would last longer than 8 years. It only services one bathroom and our kitchen sink/dishwasher.

Any comments/advice is appreciated...thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Measure the resistance from the power wires on the pump to ground wires. A resistance than about 24000 ohms (24 kohm) would be about the border between tripping and not.

Myself, I would consider rewiring in a way where no GFCI was needed. I think that hard wiring the sewage pump directly, with no outlet, might do that. I am not an electrician.

mangoManFT

Reaction score
Measure the resistance from the power wires on the pump to ground wires. A resistance than about 24000 ohms (24 kohm) would be about the border between tripping and not.

Myself, I would consider rewiring in a way where no GFCI was needed. I think that hard wiring the sewage pump directly, with no outlet, might do that. I am not an electrician.
Thanks, I'll check that resistance. I also had thought about rewiring the outlet to make it non-GFCI, but the outlet is also outdoors, and to be to code it needs to be GFCI.

[edit] Just re-read your post - yes wiring directly (no outlet) is possible, but not sure about code issues.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Last edited:

mangoManFT

Reaction score
Forgot to follow up on this thread. I ended up re-wiring the two outlets I had in my exterior box such that one is non-GFCI protected and the other is GFCI protected. I plugged the pump into the non-GFCI outlet and the alarm in the GFCI outlet, and all seems well. Before, both outlets were protected via the same GFCI, so when the pump tripped the GFCI breaker, the alarm lost power and didn't sound. Now if the pump fails the alarm should still have power. Unfortunately I never discovered what was causing the pump to trip the GFCI breaker.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks