Septic Tank - PVC through concrete sealant

Users who are viewing this thread

JosephG

Reaction score
Septic tank was pumped earlier today and the gentleman who pumped the tank said I should install an effluent filter. After researching the same, I agree.

In the attached images, you will see the outlet from the septic tank to the distribution box/D-box. What I think I am seeing is Orangeburg pipe with ABS wedged inside of that. What "I think" I am going to do is remove the Orangeburg & ABS pipe via chisel etc. and replace that with 4" schedule 40 PVC which the filter will attach directly.

I need to seal the space between the PVC & concrete. Based on my research, it looks like hydraulic cement would be the best bet, but I am to big to fit in the septic tank and the outlet is about 24" away from the septic opening, so it would be difficult to impossible for me to utilize that product.

I am hoping that I can use a product in a calking gun... But that is why I am here. Your ideas/advice will be greatly appreciated.

And just FYI, I went with the Tuf-Tite EF-6 Commercial Series Effluent Filter.
SepticDrain1.JPG
SepticDrain1.JPG

Attachments

• SepticDrain2.JPG
    SepticDrain2.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:

JosephG

Reaction score
I was wrong. What we are seeing is Orangeburg pipe and the concrete around it eroded.

On the outside of the tank, there was a piece of ABS wedged inside the Orangeburg pipe. Inside of that was a piece of thin wall drain pipe that had been cut and folded to a smaller diameter and that was wedged into the ABS and that fed into the D-box.

I cut out the pipe and cleaned up the pitted concrete. I finished after dark last night and will try and get a photo or two for anyone similarly interested.

To seal this puppy up, I am going with Quickrete High Performance Cement on the outside and Silkaflex Construction Sealant on the inside of the tank to seal in the new PVC I will be installing and affixing the effluent filter.

As an aside, my neighbor recommended DAP Watertight Roof Sealant for the inside of the tank instead of the Silkaflex. I will check them both out when I head to the home improvement store this evening. Should anyone read this and care to opine, I will check the forum before I make my purchased.

Thank you in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
I messaged you some thoughts on marine adhesives.

JosephG

Reaction score
Ended up being a pretty big hole after cleaning everything up. Image of inside and outside of tank included.

Attachments

• outsidetank.jpg
    outsidetank.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 569
  • insidetank.jpg
    insidetank.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 582
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks