Diverting Regen from Septic

Users who are viewing this thread

Jd3030

Reaction score
Hello All,

Glad I found this forum.

I'm on a well and septic in Nova Scotia. I have a water softener to clear up iron and manganese. When the water softener was installed they set the drain for the backwash into the septic through a floor drain in the basement.

I don't like this much brine water entering my septic. It's too much extra water and the brine is not good for the system or the concrete tank.

I want to divert it outside the basement wall an into a gutter drain which goes under ground into a French drain around the boundary of my property.

I'm planning to use half inch PEX or 1/2" x 5/8" tubing (currently used) to run up about 4' to the ceiling then over 16' to the exterior wall. I would drill a hole in the side of my basement wall, which is wood above the concrete foundation, drain line would go outside exiting at a down slope for ~3ft to the gutter downspout drain pipe.

I've attached a few photos
1- current configuration
2- planned drain line inside basement
3- planned drain line outside basement

Can I just run a PEX line through the wall (OSB sheathing and siding) and down into the gutter drain? Do I need an air gap between the end of the tubing and the top of the 4" PVC pipe that goes into the ground?

Of course I'm worried about freezing but if it's all down sloped coming through the basement wall, I can't see how standing water would be left to freeze.

Am I missing anything? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20211230_114150912~2.jpg
    PXL_20211230_114150912~2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 127
  • PXL_20211230_114203606~2.jpg
    PXL_20211230_114203606~2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20211230_114651259~2.jpg
    PXL_20211230_114651259~2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would run the drain line up higher, and put a vacuum breaker at the peak. Then slope the line outside at as steep a slope as is handy.

The vacuum breaker admits air so that the water falling from the peak can fall faster rather than gurgle. I am not a pro.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm worried about freezing but if it's all down sloped coming through the basement wall
Water inside 1/2" pipe might not drain out due to a lack of vacuum breaker and the capillary action. I would setup a larger PVC or ABS drain pipe with a trap as well as an overflow back to the floor drain JIC it does freeze. Also, you need to air-gap the drain.

Do keep in mind that the discharge can kill trees who's roots might be tapped into the french drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks