Sediment filter questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Cnrhome

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm (finally) going to be replacing my whole water system due to a number of problems ( piping hanging in mid air, poor pressure on 2nd floor, tank bladder has a small leak, tank and piping directly in front of elect panel, 40 yr old softener ) and I'm starting on the sediment filters and figured I'd ask for some comments/advice. I currently have a 20" x 3" filter that takes 2 coupled together 'regular' filters. They gets filled pretty fast and really cut my water pressure, so I want to :

- Use 1 1/4" PVC ASAP water comes through the check-valve from the well.
- Add a Cycle Stop Valve (right after the check valve, before pressure tank) for constant pressure
- Use 2 filters (after pressure tank, before softener) w/1" connections in parallel, so that while changing one, the house can run off the other.
- For the filters I'm thinking either (2) 20" x 3", or (2) 10" x 5" Big Blue. Is either better than the other?
- I thought I'd like at least 1 clear filter housing, just to see how it looks before changing them, but they are way more expensive. Is a clear one worth getting?
- I like the idea of the pleated 'washable' filters to cut costs ( clean them every few months and replace every (1,2,3?) yrs. )
- Given my slightly acidic, high iron and sediment water, I want to use PVC as much as possible (the water ate thru the previous galvanized pipe). The ball valves/unions are much cheaper too, but can they be trusted to last as long or longer than brass?

So, does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks for your input

CJ

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you get rid of all the galvanized you probably will not have a need for any type/size disposable cartridge filters. And your new softener will last longer.

PVC can't corrode like brass does. And I used to buy and use PVC valves by the case and never had any problems with them. CPVC valves were a different story.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks