Second well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

JDaubs45

Reaction score
Hello,
Is is possible to hookup a second well pump to my system? My well was installed two years ago and has a submersible pump. I would like to add a second pump and outdoor cistern for watering plants, garden lawn, cars etc. I would also like the ability to switch it over to use as a backup if the main pump goes bad. That way I have a backup until I can get the main pump fixed.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
It is possible, a little tricky though...you need a 6" or larger well...and going to need separate wiring and controls for each. You would probably need at least 8" diameter well if you wanted to use pitless adapters.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Does your well not make enough to supply the house as well as the irrigation? Most houses will use 5 GPM at most. If your well/pump will make 10 GPM, you can use 5+ GPM for irrigation even while the house is using water. If your well makes less than 5 GPM, I would suggest a cistern storage tank and booster pump. The boost pump would be the second pump you need/want. You just use the well pump to keep the cistern full, then you can use the boost pump to irrigate anyway you want. There are 1440 minutes in a day. A well that only makes 1 GPM will put 1440 gallons per day in storage. A 2 GPM well could put up 2880 gallons per day a so on. It doesn't matter if you pump directly from the well, a cistern, or both to irrigate, the trick is to keep the pump from cycling on/off. Normally it is best to draw everything from the cistern, but there are also ways to be able to utilize water directly from the well when needed. First drawing using everything from cistern, second drawing can use either pump or both.
Cistern and jet pump.jpg

well pump and cistern with csv.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks