Seattle: question on connecting new garage sewer line to existing clay line

Users who are viewing this thread

Brooke Stabbert

Reaction score
Hello,

I am expanding a garage in Seattle and preparing for it to be converted into a backyard cottage (right now I am only expanding the garage per my permit). I'm planning for the addition of a kitchen and bath. The back of the main house has an existing 3" clay line that picked up the roof leaders and then connected to the 6" side sewer line that runs out to the street (in Seattle storm water and sewer is a combined system). The clay line is in good shape and flows well (it has been scoped). It is 24" deep where I plan to connect to it, which is about 6' before it joins the 6" side sewer main, but I'd refer not to have to tear up any more concrete to get to the 6".

Seattle minimum side sewer size is 4". Would this new connection from the garage be considered a side sewer and thus have to be 4"? Or is it just a branch feeding into the main 6" side sewer, so it only needs to be big enough to handle the drainage units form the garage, for which 3" would be sufficient. I hope the 3" is sufficient for this, as I'd really like to not have to break up more concrete to get to the 6" line.

Because the roof leaders were previously rerouted around the other side of the house, this section of clay is only picking up one leader from the roof. I can connect right into the open flared end of the clay line if that is allowed.

I was hoping to run a 3" ABS or PVC from the garage (serving one kitchen sink, one bathroom sink, one toilet, and a shower). Is there any reason I cannot connect the new line to the existing clay? What is the preferred method for mating? I would assume I should cut the clay flange off and use a Fernco.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Brooke

Attachments

• 3 inch clay line.jpg
    3 inch clay line.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 177

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I always cut them off but you could use right size donut. 3 inch should be ok . but I've never worked there and never heard of a side sewer. additionally if you're permitted to enlarge the garage I wouldn't think this would be part of that work or be inspected. I haven't seen much 3 inch clay but 4 inch is pretty small inside. you're only 6 foot away from the 6 inch so just put a cleanout just in case a straight shot like that should be ok though

Brooke Stabbert

Reaction score
Here's a closer pic of the clay line with measurement for reference.

I could install this new line without inspection, but if/when the garage gets officially converted to a residential unit, the sewer connection with need to be approved. If I can get it inspected and passed now while its all open, that would be better.

Attachments

• 3 inch clay line 3.jpg
    3 inch clay line 3.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 229

Brooke Stabbert

Reaction score
Jeff - around here at least “side sewer” mean the private section of sewer line before it connects to the public line in the right of way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks