Sealing waste pipe into septic

Users who are viewing this thread

Dr_1400

Reaction score
I have an off grid camp with a septic located under the camp (not ideal, but not yet able to pay for a new system). We have occasional sewer smell outside the camp after using the toilet, and I believe some may come from the poorly sealed connection between the PVC and septic tank (see pictures. One is the PVC outside the tank, and the other is the continuation on the inside of the tank.

I’d like to add sealant around the rubber donut, which appears to not adequately fill the inlet opening to the tank.

Any ideas on shoring this up in the short term? It’s pretty accessible so it doesn’t have to be a permanent solution. I’m thinking rope caulk?

The top of the tank and lid are above grade under the camp (which is on posts and beams) and exposed to the air. I’ve also thought of laying 6 mil plastic over the top of the tank and connection and filling with a few inches of dirt. Any downside to doing that?

I’ve had the tank pumped a few times and the septic guy thought it was in good shape and that we had an adequate drain field, for whatever that is worth.

Attachments

• A415B210-412F-43F7-B97A-4FB0216AF05E.jpeg
    A415B210-412F-43F7-B97A-4FB0216AF05E.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 20D46790-53A9-4D46-A2B9-C35F0BA0F0A7.jpeg
    20D46790-53A9-4D46-A2B9-C35F0BA0F0A7.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 165

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is there a vent pipe that goes up to the roof level? As water enters the septic tank the displaced air has to go somewhere. Covering the tank may not be a good idea. Just need a better picture of the layout. I'm not a plumber but others should come up with sealing recommendations.

Dr_1400

Reaction score
Is there a vent pipe that goes up to the roof level? As water enters the septic tank the displaced air has to go somewhere. Covering the tank may not be a good idea. Just need a better picture of the layout. I'm not a plumber but others should come up with sealing recommendations.
There is a vent pipe, yes. I believe the vent is inadequate, as it terminates under the eve rather than continuing past the peak. I plan to extend that, as well. But the majority of the stink seems to come from around the tank as opposed to near the vent.

I do appreciate the thought on whether covering the lid and waste pipe connection are a good idea. I’m obviously not sure. I just know it’s real stinky in that area!

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
From the two pictures it looks like the holes were cut with a torch or it is just rust eating away. The one with the Furnco Donut could be replaced as the one you have have have dried out. To get a better seal try using a toilet wax ring. Be sure the pipe is secured so it doesn't wobble and pack the joint with wax. May need two or more wax rings for both. Using your hands you can warm the wax so it is more pliable to work with it.

Dr_1400

Reaction score
From the two pictures it looks like the holes were cut with a torch or it is just rust eating away. The one with the Furnco Donut could be replaced as the one you have have have dried out. To get a better seal try using a toilet wax ring. Be sure the pipe is secured so it doesn't wobble and pack the joint with wax. May need two or more wax rings for both. Using your hands you can warm the wax so it is more pliable to work with it.
Thank you, I appreciate it. If I were to replace the donut, I’d have to cut the waste line, slip on a new donut, and reattach. Any harm in having a coupling in that waste pipe?

The wax ring idea makes sense to me.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Thank you, I appreciate it. If I were to replace the donut, I’d have to cut the waste line, slip on a new donut, and reattach. Any harm in having a coupling in that waste pipe?

The wax ring idea makes sense to me.
No cutting the pipe wont hurt and using a coupler but may not be worth it since the hole was not cut to what appears to be any standard size. First measure it up and search if a larger donut can be found. These donuts are pretty much made for cast iron joints for PVC or cast iron joints. Wax rings are inexpensive, I would try it first and if possible slip the count down a bit into the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks