Seal Sump Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Shobuddy

Reaction score
The attached image is next to the furnace in my unfinished basement. It leads to the sump pump and was left this way by the builders. There is water at the bottom of the hole. My question is, does this hole need to be closed/sealed (to avoid critters getting in) or is it OK to leave it as is.

Attachments

• 20211022_114943.jpg
    20211022_114943.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 125

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is water in the pipe, it seems likely that it would be from water in a p-trap, which is normal and good. The water you see is what keeps sewer gases from entering your home. It likely keeps out most critters too.. But then I would think that if the drain is connected to a sump, and that is sealed, then yes, that whole system keeps out critters.

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually when people use the term "sump pump", that is for ground water in a non-sealed pit.

For sealed pits (septic pits etc), people usually use ejector pumps or grinder pumps. Those its need real vents to the roof.

Feeding laundry and condensate into a groundwater sump pit may be ok. Depends on what happens to the water. Mine goes into a "dry well" so OK.

Some places allow adding sump pump water into the city sewer. Some want it outside on the ground. Some have separate storm sewers people can use, and in that case, I don't think laundry drainage is allowed.

Shobuddy

Reaction score
If there is water in the pipe, it seems likely that it would be from water in a p-trap, which is normal and good. The water you see is what keeps sewer gases from entering your home. It likely keeps out most critters too.. But then I would think that if the drain is connected to a sump, and that is sealed, then yes, that whole system keeps out critters.

Thank you for the responses. The three pipes going to the hole are for condensation from the HVAC and water heaters. The sump pump is just for ground water and is pumped outside the house vs into the sewer system. You mentioned sewer gases, this system and the sewer system are completely separate so how would they mix?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The three pipes going to the hole are for condensation from the HVAC and water heaters.

Condensate and water heater relief are OK to dump into that drain. But as Sylvan mentions above, if the water heater Temperature and Pressure relief drain is one of those, then it should be protected by an Air Gap which is a physical separation with air space between the bottom of the discharge pipe and the top of the receiving drain. This air gap prevents creepy crawly bacteria from getting into your water heater in the off chance that the drain were to flood and the water heater relief were open and the water system were to back siphon.

You mentioned sewer gases, this system and the sewer system are completely separate so how would they mix?

If its not used for sewage then you wouldn't get sewage gas per se, but you still could get funky water sitting in there which could smell bad. The trap prevents any weird smells from travelling out of that sump into your living space.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
For example bath tub spout or sink faucets have an AIR GAP to protect potable water supply

An air gap, as related to the plumbing trade, is the unobstructed vertical space between the water outlet and the flood level of a fixture. ... This arrangement will prevent any contaminants in the sink from flowing into the potable water system by siphonage and is the least expensive form of backflow prevention.

AIR BREAK an indirect connection of a drain line to the drainage system where the drain line terminates below flood level.

They ask what is the difference between air gap and air break on two of the master plumbers exams I took

the T&P Discharge should always be at least 4" above the drain NEVER inside a pit /sump or connected to the drainage system

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks