Scum on kitchen sink aerator

Users who are viewing this thread

Elliot Roberts

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had a little flood in my kitchen coming from the kitchen sink. After some investigation, I discovered that it was coming from the aerator on the kitchen sink faucet.

The faucet is the kind that you can pull out and use as a hose. Therefore, the aerator is before the wand. But after pulling apart the aerator, I discovered black scum blocking the aerator grill (see pic).
T8cGrfObOoIZB2Zw2

As you can see, it's only partially blocked now with scum, but it was completely blocked yesterday, which is why the water backed up and created a flood.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how I can mitigate it?

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_113156059.jpg
    IMG_20180521_113156059.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20180521_113150878.jpg
    IMG_20180521_113150878.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 218

Reach4

Reaction score
The flex supply lines sometimes degrade and break off particles.

I like a whole-house sediment filter, even for city water, but if that is the only aerator with that junk, the flex supply lines are the main suspects. I have seen people post about that.

I guess it could be the flex line that is part of the fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks