Running drain line for fleck 5600sxt system

Users who are viewing this thread

Pushc5

Reaction score
So I had created a previous post describing how I'm going to run CPVC for the drain line and run it overhead. So I went to finalize my plans and had a bit of a hiccup.

The softener obviously has a turbine on it to meter the water, giving me a little more room. The carbon filter does not have a turbine so it's much closer to the drain fixture. I had originally planned to put a 1/2 male to female slip, then a 90 degree street to 3/4" adapter, then run a bit of pipe to a convenient spot, have a 3/4" slip to male thread and connect it via a 3/4" slip to tightening coupler (not sure if that's what it's called). However now given the lack of space on the carbon filter I have to ammend my plans.

I was looking at doing a 90 degree barb off both units, then run a little bit of 1/2" poly to the 3/4 pvc and make the connection that way to save space and reduce the number of fittings. When I was looking at barbs there's all sorts of different terminology and I want to make sure I get the right one. For the fleck side I think I need a 1/2" male to 1/2" FIPT?

if that's the case I couldn't find any here:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=barb?searchText=barb

I can keep the straight barb coming out of the tanks, then run it to one of these:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-...-Insert-Reducing-Female-Adapter-FIPT-x-Insert

that will be screwed on to one of these:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-4136-007-3-4-CTS-CPVC-Male-Adapter-MIPT-x-Socket

Will that work? I would have never thought there are so many different types of sizing lol

Sorry for the long post!

Reach4

Reaction score
if that's the case I couldn't find any here:
1413-005-3.jpg

1/2" 90° PVC Insert Elbow (Insert x MIPT)

460-005-4.jpg
1/2" PVC Schedule 40 Insert x IPS Spigot Adapter
You could glue in two of these and do the tee in the PVC.

1413-101-3.jpg
3/4" x 1/2" 90° PVC Insert Reducing Elbow (Insert x MIPT) screwed into the softener would let you do the run to the PVC in 3/4 ID tubing if you choose.

Last edited:

Pushc5

Reaction score
1413-005-3.jpg

1/2" 90° PVC Insert Elbow (Insert x MIPT)

460-005-4.jpg
1/2" PVC Schedule 40 Insert x IPS Spigot Adapter
You could glue in two of these and do the tee in the PVC.

1413-101-3.jpg
3/4" x 1/2" 90° PVC Insert Reducing Elbow (Insert x MIPT) screwed into the softener would let you do the run to the PVC in 3/4 ID tubing if you choose.

I'm running CPVC for the drain. I know that I could use PVC for it, but I got a discount for ordering CPVC so I just went with all that. I have a CPVC tee that will be mounted behind the softeners and will have the other barb fittings mounted to that so it'll be about 1-2 feet of poly tubing from the sotener to that tee. It will be 3/4" cpvc all the way from there to the drain.

What's the difference between MIPT and FIPT for the barb fitting? The 1/2" 90 to 1/2" MIPT barb looks like that barb is bigger in OD than the current 1/2" fitting and barb.

Reach4

Reaction score
The 1/2" 90 to 1/2" MIPT barb looks like that barb is bigger in OD than the current 1/2" fitting and barb.
Not to me.
1413-005-3.jpg
That third picture I posted was 1/2 MIPT by 3/4 barbed (insert).

What's the difference between MIPT and FIPT for the barb fitting?
That is for the threaded end -- not the barb. You need the MIPT (male) to screw into the valve.

Pushc5

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
A lot of my confusion is what threading works with what threading. And I understand that there are sizing differences between PVC and CPVC parts.
The threads would be the same

When you have a female thread in a plastic part, avoid over-tightening. Use ptfe tape and/or plastic-safe pipe compound (dope).

cvslf050-3.jpg
An adapter with a metal FIP thread might be better for screwing an insert adapter into. I don't know if these glue onto a pipe or if they glue into a fitting.

There seems to be more choice in pvc.