Ro system into copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have read the issues with leaching with copper pipes.

I am installing an RO system in the basement that goes up the wall 5-6' into the fridge.
Currently there is a copper pipe that feeds a stubby valve behind the fridge that the water line hooks into.
So I have an existing, isolated water line just for the fridge water and ice maker.
Would it be weird if I used the Copper pipe as a conduit to the RO tubing and ran it through there instead? Feed it through the pipe?
It may be to tricky to pull out the wall or feed the tubing up into the wall along side the copper pipe. Maybe run it through it?
When this was installed by the plumber I had no idea RO water could not run through copper?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there aren't any elbows that would prevent the plastic pipe getting caught up on, then yes, you could use the copper as a conduit. Make sure you've smoothed out the ends so it's not going to score the tubing when you push it through and protect it on each end so vibrations from the water turning on/off doesn't chaff the tubing and wear a hole in it. A rubber or foam plug with a hole centered in it would be my first thought for the tubing to pass through at each end.

Fitter30

Reaction score
If the tubing won't push through the copper. Take a string or twine tie a little piece to plastic bag on the end and take a vacuum suck it through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks