Right place for 2nd expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Murray

Reaction score
I just installed a Budarus boiler and changed to circulators from zone valves. Now adding a wood boiler into the system. I need a second tank and want to know if this is a good place to add it, I have tees into the return side. I am not sure how the Tees play into the pressure. The pipes are 1 1/4 i drew a crude photo and added it The wood boiler hold 30 gallons,

I can also add the pump up to just after the tank so the tank is on suction side of the pump

Attachments

• heat.jpg
    heat.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Ex tank needs to be on the suction side of the wood boiler. Ex tanks only work on the suction side of pumps and air pressure the same as system pressure of a water temp 100* are less with pumps off. Normally 12 lbs.

Fitter30

Reaction score
After looking into wood boilers there water side isn't rated for pressure they are a vented tank.. Also antifreeze would have to be added for freeze protection. A heat exchanger would be necessary to separate the systems.IMG_20210106_151733.jpg

Brian Murray

Reaction score
The wood boiler I am installing is a pressurized system It will be tied into the same as my oil burner

Bgard

Reaction score
System only needs one expansion tank, just increase the size of existing one to handle the extra volume of water in the wood boiler. The pump on the wood boiler should only run when there is a fire burning, if it runs all the time the unfired wood boiler becomes a radiator .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks