Richmond Water Heater Pilot Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

chadzeilenga

Reaction score
I've got a Richmond Water heater in a 2-flat that is giving me problems. A day ago I got a call that the water wasn't hot anymore so I went over to check it out.
The pilot light was out so I lit it by holding down the button and hitting the piezo button. After a few clicks it lit up and stayed lit. When I turned the temp dial up and the burners came on everything went out...pilot too. It was on for only a few seconds. Tried it again and it did the same.
Did some research and thought it was the thermocouple. Picked up a new one and put it in, same deal.
Now I'm thinking it is the gas control valve...???? Not sure though. Where can I pick one of these up and approx how much are they?

Specs:
Richmond 40 GAL Gas water heater
36,000 Btu
Serial: RMLN0306401453
Model: 6540-36F1

Gas control valve
Robert Shaw
Date code: 0609 13
66-176-368
R110RTSP

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
For OEM parts contact any Rheem/Ruud dealer in your area or a company that sells gas controll valves.

Richmond is made by Rheem/Ruud

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like it is starved for gas. This could be a defective gas control, or it could be a pressure problem on the incoming gas line. Best bet is to get someone in with a manometer to check these pressures.

Around here, if you call the local gas company, they will send someone out to inspect your appliance and the gas piping. They won't fix it , but usually give you a pretty good idea what the problem is.

I would also get onto the Rheem or Robertshaw website to investigate that gas valve. There was a Robertshaw recall about a year or so ago.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks