Richmond Water heater code 6 problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Jaseonek

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Richmond WH with IntelliVent throwing error code 6 at me. I have had no hot water for 2 days now and have learned/tried the following things. First the operation sequence proceeds to the point of ignition which is where the problem begins. It completes the open test of the pressure switch, however when the fan starts, after 5 seconds I do get a momentary flash of the error code 4 due to the pressure switch taking a split second longer than five seconds to close. That code goes away immediately and the process continues on to the heating of the igniter, which glows bright orange as it should. But at this point, there is no "whoosh" of the burner igniting or blue flame visible in the observation window and as the igniter dims, it is clear that there was never a flame. It seems as though the gas valve isn't opening.

Just to rule it out, I did test the pressure switch with a multi-meter to make sure the circuit was open when the unit was off and closed with the air line attached and the fan on. I even went so far as to temporarily wire a manual switch in place of the pressure switch to simulate its function. I started with the switch in the off position then turned on the power to the WH. Once the fan started spinning I turned the switch on after about 2 seconds and the same sequence continued as described above.

To rule out obstruction in my vent pipe, I disconnected it from the top of the inducer and the startup continued and failed just the same as when it was connected.

I'm not sure where to go from here. The pressure seems fine because my range operates off the same line and I have no problems with flame intensity there. Am I looking at a bad Intelli vent unit? Is my burner suddenly clogged up enough to not let enough gas through to ignite? If anyone can point me in the next direction I would be much obliged. Thank you!

Update: This morning I removed the burner assembly to check the flame sensor and gas orifice. The orifice is clear and the sensor has no corrosion or anything and is positioned exactly according to specifications. The ignitor is also in proper position. I reassembled and no change in the startup behavior.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go to Richmond web site and check their trouble shooting process for error code 6.

Reach4

Reaction score
I thought it was fairly obvious by my post that I've been there and done that.
I don't think it was. Have you been watching Elementary or Sherlock? It doesn't usually work that way. I sure missed the clues, not knowing the Richmond Intellivent system. Neither is it obvious to me whether or not you have seen http://www.hotwater.com/lit/training/320988-000.pdf with the codes explained and other seemingly really useful info.

Last edited:

Jaseonek

Reaction score
It's fixed. Ended up being a bad solenoid. I re-appropriated one from a non-working unit. A little basic soldering and some heat shrink tubes and all is good. Thanks for all the wonderful help fellas!

Jaseonek

Reaction score
I don't think it was. Have you been watching Elementary or Sherlock? It doesn't usually work that way. I sure missed the clues, not knowing the Richmond Intellivent system. Neither is it obvious to me whether or not you have seen http://www.hotwater.com/lit/training/320988-000.pdf with the codes explained and other seemingly really useful info.

Here are the trouble shooting steps:

• Gas supply is off or too low of pressure to operate. - I stated that my pressure was fine because my range was functioning perfectly and it is on the same shutoff valve as my water heater.

• Insure manifold gas pressure is present and within requirement. - Obviously manifold pressure was inadequate due to no flame and the igniter glowing brightly as it should.

• Insure the flame sensor is making good contact with the burner flame. - I explicitly said that I did that in my update.

•Insure the flame sensor is clean - use steel wool to clean sensor. - Same as above.

• Insure flue restrictor (on models so equipped - see page 19) and flue baffle are
installed properly. - Not applicable. This is a power vent.

• Insure vent termination restrictor (see product notification sheets at end of this
publication) is installed when required. - Not applicable.

• Insure the ignitor is positioned correctly for consistent ignition. - Again I explicitly stated that I did this in my update.

So you will pardon me if I found the suggestion to look up the troubleshooting steps for error code 6 to be less than helpful. Have a great day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks