Rheem heat pump

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Rsmith, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Rsmith

Rsmith New Member

I live in north Alabama and have a rheem 3 1/2 ton heat pump that is five years old. We are just now getting lows around thirty degrees. My question is how often should this unit go to defrost mode .it seems to be doing it everytime the unit cycles on which it runs about twenty minutes and shuts down for about five minutes constantly in this temperature range. I have a new non programmable Honeywell thormasat . Is it normal for it to defrost every time the unit comes on ?

2. Dana

Dana In the trades

Defrost cycles are more prevalent during 30s-40s F weather than when cooler. The controls for defrost cycle vary widely by vendor and model number, and so does what passes for "normal". Do you have the manual (or can you find it online)?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement