Rewiring Bathroom - Old House - Fan/2 Lights w/dimmer

Users who are viewing this thread

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
My best to all. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

My forty year old bathroom has a single light switch which controls both a single light fixture and an overhead vent fan.

I'm remodeling the bathroom and I will be installing a new vent fan and two led lights over the new vanity. The two led lights will provide too much light for the size of the bathroom so they will need to be on a dimmer circuit.

How should I proceed? Obviously I can use two switches, one dimmer and one single pole for the fan - but that seems a bit awkward for daily use. Is there a specialty dimmer switch that can be used to provide both variable and steady voltage connections?

In my case, ignorance is not bliss.

I would appreciate any and all comments.

With my regards to all,

Andy

Reach4

Reaction score
How should I proceed? Obviously I can use two switches, one dimmer and one single pole for the fan - but that seems a bit awkward for daily use. Is there a specialty dimmer switch that can be used to provide both variable and steady voltage connections?

What would you like the controls to be? One thing to consider is to have a countdown timer control the fan, so it it will turn off on its own after a period.

The video shows an on-off switch for the lights on the right, but that could have easily been a dimmer. The fan and light controls operate independently of each other.

Many dimmers have both a slide for the brightness, and also have an on-off switch. So the brightness setting gets remembered when you turn the light off.
white-leviton-dimmers-vb1-06674-thd-c3_145.jpg

Also, while running the new wiring, consider adding a new GFCI outlet.

Last edited:

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mr. 'Reach',

Your suggestion is one that I will certainly consider. As for what I would like to do, I would like to have one switch which is constructed as to allow one connection to be made to the fan and one connection to be made to the lights. The one going to the fan would provide it power when the switch is flipped and concurrently, when the switch is flipped, it would provide adjustable power to the lights.

Andy

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you could get the function you are asking for by having a single pole switch power both the fan and the input to a dimmer.

Turning off the switch would always turn off both. Turning on the switch turns on the fan plus the lights via the dimmer.

Make sure the dimmer is rated for use with LEDs.

I think you would need a 2-gang (4-inch) box to do that. Maybe there is a 1-gang method that I don't know.

I would not like that function. A fan will suck conditioned air out. There are times you might want light in a bathroom without wanting the fan on. However I see the point -- not everybody will turn on a fan, even when it is needed.

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Mr. 'Reach',

I'm accustomed - for about thirty years - to always have the fan and lights on at the same time - just seems 'normal' by now. However, your comment about the fan pulling the a/c out of the room is a very valid point. I (and plumbers) have worked in that room and after awhile it gets very hot in there.

I'm going to change my mind on this and just go with two switches - a dimmer for the lights and a single pole for the fan.

Thanks a lot for your comments - saved me a few x words while working in there - and later on also.

With my regards,

Andy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks