Resin bed cleaning

Users who are viewing this thread

steppinthrax

Reaction score
I currently have a Fleck 5600SXT 48K. I have around 10 - 11 grains of hardness and about .3ppm of iron. I have about 4 people in the household. I've been running a full year now on the same load of salt and for the first time the salt is low enough that I'm seeing water. My concern is since I have iron that I should maybe do a resin bed cleaning after about a year or so. I understand you guys generally use Citric Acid. Home depot sells a product call out that you put into your salt basin it is pretty much citric acid. I figure it would probably be best to install some sort of automatic feeder.

How much should I put into the basin right now. I imagine the amounts will be very different based on the concentration of citric acid etc? I have a 48K system with .3ppm of iron.

Also is this product good?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Filter-Mate-24-oz-Softener-Cleaner-Powder-TO06N/300091047

I figure it would be cheaper to buy citric acid from ebay.

Also what's a good automatic feeder?

Reach4

Reaction score
You could also consider "Iron Out". Search for old posts with that quoted phrase, using the search box above. It doesn't smell as good as citric acid, but it is effective. https://www.menards.com/main/housew...mover-9-5-lb/io10n/p-1444444183163-c-7097.htm

IO10N.jpg

You could add 1/4 cup of dihydrate (I think that is the common stuff) citric acid when you load each bag of salt to clean as you go. I think that might be similar to or a little stronger than using the special rust-fighting salt.

For the intense cleaning with either, you would add a lot more IO or citric that you have dissolved into hot water. Pour down the brine well. Trigger a regen. Then during the brine draw, just as the brine has been drawn out, you could put the softener into bypass. Let it sit for a while. Hour??? Then put the bypass into regular mode, and trigger another regen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks