Rerouting PVC for water pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

SR Smith

Reaction score
G' Day All,
I have used this forum a couple times to get advice on water pressure tank and now want to just know if I can use a 45 degree elbow (pvc) to rotate the way a new tank would be oriented in my system. The current tank is 32 gallons and I want to put in a 50 gallon but the diameter of the bigger tank makes it impossible to fit it into the corner with a straight pipe run like I have now.
I can cut the PVC and connect after the valve and union (red line drawn in photo) and fit the wider tank (black circle line drawn not to scale in photo) with water feed oriented toward 10 o'clock (yellow arrow drawn in photo).
The PVC is one inch and the new angled pipe would need to be about 9 inches long from the elbow into the pressure tank. 40/60 switch and new tank is pre charged to 38. I put a couple other pictures in to show situation. Will this work or am I missing something?

Thanks for your advice

Attachments

• bigger pressure tank pipe configuaration.jpg
    bigger pressure tank pipe configuaration.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 162

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sure you could do that. But your pressure switch is too far from the tank as it is. Also, a 32 gallon tank holds 8 gallons of water and a 50 gallon tank only holds maybe 15 gallons of water. You are not gaining much by switching from a 32 to a 50. I don't know what you are trying to accomplish? But if you are trying to reduce the cycling on and off, adding a Cycle Stop Valve where the ball valve is now would be better than increasing the tank size. With the Cycle Stop Valve the pump will last several times longer than normal, you will have strong constant pressure in the house, and you could use as small as a 4.5 gallon size tank that would save a lot of space and money. https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/reviews

SR Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. We already have the 50 gallon tank for this house and the piping was already in from the former owners (we have researched and are putting a CSV in another newer house we are working on that is also on a well with a similar pump) Where should the pressure switch be if I add the 45 degree elbow and the bigger tank? (That would mean adding a pressure tank T out of the tank with the gauge, switch, and overflow before connecting to the pvc? )
thanks again

Reach4

Reaction score
A tank tee guarantees a low-resistance path between the input to the pressure tank and the pressure switch and pressure gauge. Some come with a union.

But without a tank tee and for less money and maybe easier connection, you could run your proposed 45 into a 1-1/4 inch tee, with the side port of the tee connected to the input of the pressure tank. The right side of the tee could go to an elbow that points up, and that would mount the pressure switch and pressure gauge.

You could even use a 90 rather than a 45.

Last edited:

SR Smith

Reaction score
I think that will work and I'll do it that way. However, in looking at my current configuration, the pipe from the well comes through the wall and goes to a t junction. Then, the pipe from that tee goes right to the pressure tank with only a drain faucet and union on that side. The gauge and switch and check valve and service shut off are all on the left of the drop down T. So, that makes me wonder how the system works at all. The water comes from the well and goes to the pressure tank. Then, the water from the tank goes back out the same line - passing the drop tee from the well - and to the house service on the left wall. That really doesn't make sense, does it?

Reach4

Reaction score
However, in looking at my current configuration, the pipe from the well comes through the wall and goes to a t junction. Then, the pipe from that tee goes right to the pressure tank with only a drain faucet and union on that side. The gauge and switch and check valve and service shut off are all on the left of the drop down T. So, that makes me wonder how the system works at all.
That is a good and common way. That is how mine works too.

The water comes from the well and goes to the pressure tank. Then, the water from the tank goes back out the same line - passing the drop tee from the well - and to the house service on the left wall. That really doesn't make sense, does it?
Close.
1. Pump is off. Any water used comes from the pressure tank to the house.
2. Pressure switch turns on, which turns on the pump. Water goes from the well to both the house and the pressure tank. You could stay in this stage a long time if the usage matches the pump.
3. Pressure rises at the pressure pressure switch, and pump turns off.
4. go to 1.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks