Replacing main water valve to houses handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Ross Ingersoll

Reaction score
its one of those turn handles that you turn 360 degrees. Had a pipe freeze and burst in kitchen and the main water valve handle burst a leak as well for some reason, you can see the screw half way out and bent. Its turned off at that handle but my question is this, Can i replace that handle and/or screw without having the water company turn off the water to the house or is it best to just have a professional do it

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
First you need to shut the water at the meter. you can't work on the main shut off valve while the water is on.
I think you are talking about your main shut off valve.
This multi turn is defective or like you said, destroyed.
To repair/replace it, the water has to be turned off at the water meter. Your water company can help you with turning the water off at the meter. They will turn the water off for you and leave. After the repair/replacement call them again to turn the water back on at the meter.
You will need all parts on hand, so this doesn't turn into a couple of days job.
However, if you don't know how to repair/replace your main shut off valve or what parts to buy, call a plumber

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
And simply put.. No, you can not simply repair a multi turn gave valve stem. While its theoretically possible.. in the real world its just not going to happen. When it its replaced by either you over a couple days time and many trips to the store, or by a professional in a matter of hours depending on the circumstances.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks