Replacing deep well jet pump with higher horsepower

Users who are viewing this thread

Cortez123

Reaction score
Hi all, first time post here. I can't seem to find this answer anywhere, but maybe I'm overthinking it. I have a 1/2 hp deep well jet pump (FE Myers HJ50D). Unfortunately, I don't know how deep the well is. The most pressure I can get is about 39psi and my pump can only supply about 4.5 gpm. I'd like to have more pressure so I was thinking of replacing it with a 1hp pump. I'm sure I could do the replacement myself, however, I don't think I want to brave pulling out the venturi pipes. If I only change the well pump, would I still get more pressure (albeit less than ideal) or is it absolutely required to change the pipes and venturi?

Cortez123

Reaction score
That's unfortunate. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to. Thanks for letting me know.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's a 4" well.

If you put in a submersible, you could get plenty of pressure with no priming or other drama. You could put in a Grundfos SQ 3 inch pump. If that well is cased with 4 inch ID PVC, you could also put in a "4 inch" pump.

A 1/2 HP submersible would be about equivalent to a 1 HP jet pump.

Cortez123

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to avoid pulling the pipes out of the well since I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that myself. I agree that it makes sense to use a submersible if I end up pulling the pipes anyways, though.

Matthew Kane

Reaction score
We had a Myers jet pump in a well pit and struggled with no water pressure. We had the casing extended, a pitless adaptor installed and dropped a 3" grundfos submersible into the well (4" casing). Went from 40 psi max to 50 on 70 off. After having the new setup I would never go back to a jet pump. My only regret.....not doing it 15 years ago when we purchased the home.