Replaced well pump, still no water. Need troubleshooting help

Users who are viewing this thread

wck

Reaction score
I replaced my well pump 11 years ago. A few weeks ago it tripped the breaker and blew a fuse on one leg of the cut off switch. Replaced fuse and reset breaker and it was good for a week.

Tripped breaker again and wouldn't come back on.

I checked voltage to top of well head, all around 120, but only 1.9 amps power draw. Assumed pump was bad and pulled it. Checked resistance on all wires going down well and they were at .5 or so ohms max. They tested it at plumbing house and while it had good pressure barely had any flow. It is a 3 wire 3/4 hp 7gpm sand handler set at about 150' and about 150' from the house. We figured it just wasn't pumping enough flow to get to house and it was worn out, so I grabbed a replacement. Install pump and still have no water and still about a 1.5 to 2 amp draw.

I have bypassed the cut off switch and pressure switch as well as taken the motor controller to the plumbing house to test it (good) and am at the end of my rope. I also checked resistance of wires going from house to well. Those were fine.

I am going to pull pump tomorrow and replace wires from house to well head as well as to the pump. I also plan on replacing pressure switch, motor controller, and the lines running from circuit box to pressure switch and everything in between. I'm at the point of scorched earth and replacing everything unless someone tells me different.

I figure that a wire is corroded and still making contact so there is low resistance but it is not in good enough condition to pass full amperage. Any other ideas before I start ripping stuff out of the ground again?

Reach4

Reaction score
I checked voltage to top of well head, all around 120, but only 1.9 amps power draw.
120 measured with respect to what? If you have a 230 volt pump, measure between the two hot wires. I presume that when you took your measurements, the breaker was no longer tripped.

You have 3 wires to the pump, not counting ground. Where are you measuring 1.9 amps?

I would also check resistance to ground with the power disconnected.

wck

Reaction score
120 measured with respect to what? If you have a 230 volt pump, measure between the two hot wires. I presume that when you took your measurements, the breaker was no longer tripped.

You have 3 wires to the pump, not counting ground. Where are you measuring 1.9 amps?

I would also check resistance to ground with the power disconnected.
Yes measured with breaker on. It is no longer tripping although I have it off now to prevent damage while it's not working.

I can't remember which wire I was measuring the amperage on. Which ones(s) should I be seeing current flow?

I did look at the waterline going to the pump but I guess it could be cracked somewhere? I can try to pressure test it from the pitiless to the pump end of that seems needed?

I'm pretty comfortable with home improvement and was a mechanic so I'm fine with troubleshooting and repair I'm just above my knowledge level now and am going to hit my boiling point if I don't get water on soon. It's been a week (I travel for work so I haven't been home most of that but my girlfriend is not too enthused with the current situation.

I will check resistance from wires to ground. There are only 3 wires going down to the pump, no ground wire.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest that you download the Franklin AIM manual. It has a lot of info that you don't need, but it also has the stuff that you can use.

I can't remember which wire I was measuring the amperage on. Which ones(s) should I be seeing current flow?
During normal operation, L1, L2, Yellow, and Black. Also Red during start, and maybe red while running.

The currents on L1 and L2 would be the same, unless there is a ground fault.

Suppose you had a broken wire on the wire from the breaker to one input of the pressure switch. You would measure 120 volts on everything, including L1 and L2, to ground, but you would not measure 240 volts between L1 and L2.

It's been a week (I travel for work so I haven't been home most of that but my girlfriend is not too enthused with the current situation.
This is probably the time to call in a professional. Yes you will spend some money, but you will have water the same day. You have earned it, road warrior.

wck

Reaction score
I'm home until Thursday and at this point it is personal. If I don't have it whipped by Tuesday night I will call in the Calvary.

I will download the manual and check it out.

Thanks for the info and help so far

wck

Reaction score
Well after more trouble shooting and some more parts swapping it has been narrowed down to the supply wire from control box to well head.

I have run a temporary line across the ground to get the water back on. I'll rent a trencher next week and bury that as well as run a line to my shed for a subpanel.

Thanks for the troubleshooting help

Reach4

Reaction score
Well after more trouble shooting and some more parts swapping it has been narrowed down to the supply wire from control box to well head.

I have run a temporary line across the ground to get the water back on. I'll rent a trencher next week and bury that as well as run a line to my shed for a subpanel.
Good deal.

If your water pipe is galvanized steel, I might replace that at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks