Replaced lead bend, now toilet flange is too high

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Tunnelboy77, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Tunnelboy77

Tunnelboy77 New Member

So in my city, plastic is not allowed. I had a bad waste leak in the crawlspace and found the lend bent had a big 2" diameter hole in it. Removed the lead, drilled out the lead around the old stack hub, and cleaned it up.

Pit in a short section of 4" cast iron using a Fernco donut, and elbow and toilet flange. Now the flange is going to sit about an inch too high, and 1-1/2" too much forward. There's a little give in the donut, but I'm afraid that forcing the flange down will make the pitch go the wrong way. Also, of course, there is a floor joist running down the 12" center line where the flange should be. When the lead was in there, it was 14" from the back wall which is what I'm shooting for. I'm at 15-1/2 now. Pretty sure I can't chew a little wood there to go that far back.

Wondering if something like this and maybe a combination of shimming the back wall forward would help me get a little closer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/JONES-S...oset-Flange-with-1-in-Offset-C40640/313740731

This pic will explain a lot:

[​IMG]

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Yous got a problem with that?:mad:

How about using 3 inch cast? [​IMG] https://www.homedepot.com/p/AB-I-Fo...-90-Degree-Closet-Bend-Elbow-370553/202536169
    Grind/cut down the height as needed.

Forward means what?

Offset flange would help.

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  4. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

Which Bay Area are you in, and if San Francisco, which city is that?

Looks like you used a quarter bend? I think an actual closet bend would be more compact and let you lower the flange. Eg:

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...t-bend/610sp350-12/p-1444437563404-c-9499.htm

May be hard to track one down.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  5. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

I use a cast iron closet bend as a doorstop at our shop!!