Replace PVC with cast iron in vertical?

Users who are viewing this thread

reebok

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm on the first floor of a 5 story condo building. Beneath my unit is the basement and the PVC that drains all the toilets above me has an elbow just under the floor. When water comes down it slams into that elbow making a loud noise. This is an old converted mill and the floors are wood and don't block any of the noise and the noise comes right up. The PVC is also noisy in the wall.

I tried insulation in the wall but that doesn't do anything to quiet the slamming. I think the only way to fix it will be to replace the PVC coming through my wall and the elbow beneath the floor with cast iron.

Is this feasible or legal to replace a section of vertical PVC with Cast Iron? I'm in Rhode Island and I hear that next door in Mass. they still require some commercial stuff to be cast iron, so I'm told I should be able to find a plumber who knows about cast iron.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Replacing cast iron with PVC is not always permitted, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with replacing PVC with cast iron. In fact, most codes will not allow ANY plastic piping in buildings over 3 stories high, or in "fire rated" structures which yours could be given its previous usage. You might also look into replacing the elbow with two 45's spaced about a foot or so apart.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I, like HJ am surprised that the building was ever piped in PVC in the first place. Most codes are C.i. for anything over 3 stories. Call a lawyer :D

reebok

Reaction score
Thanks.. how do I find out what the building codes are for this? Call the town?

I spoke to one plumber a while ago who wasn't thrilled about someone possibly flushing the toilet above if they were working on it. I suppose this kind of project could be a real pita.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

That might be an understatement. Between shutting off all the water, hoping no one flushes a toilet, then when you turn the water back on you have to worry about whether they left a faucet open because there was no water coming out of it and then went to the store, can create major stress.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks