Replace chrome S Trap with small clearance

Users who are viewing this thread

fiat84b

Reaction score
Have an old 1908 cabin 2nd floor bathroom with an existing Chrome S Trap 1-1/4” bathroom sink drain assembly just removed. Also has a 1-1/4” floor waste hole the old S Trap fits into. Problem is the sink drain tube only has about 1.5 inch spacing straight ahead directly in front of the 1-1/4” drain hole assembly on the floor beside the outside wall. Also both pipes line up side by side each other with no gap in between as if standing beside each other. Reading this forum and want to put in a AAV and 1.5" P Trap tubular slip joint kit pointed away from the wall to create some distance but then the vertical waste tube no longer lines up with the horizontal trap tube with out an additional bend(s). How would you fix this, or make it easier? Attached an example picture of what i would like to do along with my current situation dry fitted PVC S trap.

S Trap pvc.jpg

Attachments

• Tight AAV space fit.jpg
    Tight AAV space fit.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,278
  • 1 quarter inch trap adaptor.jpg
    1 quarter inch trap adaptor.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 304
  • S Trap pipes side by side.jpg
    S Trap pipes side by side.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 213

Reach4

Reaction score
There may be something better, but I am thinking that one of these under a trap adapter could work. It's a 1-1/2 double offset. This is not going to be very official looking, but better than what you have.
chrome-eastman-drains-drain-parts-35151-64_145.jpg
Here is what I am picturing. Cut the top and bottom of the double offset off so you have a tube with bends. Then put the bottom into your existing trap adapter at the floor. Get a santee, and glue a trap adapter to the side and bottom. Put that atop the cut double offset. Some double offsets have more straight space outside the bends than others, so look around. I am not a plumber.

IMG_4.png

fiat84b

Reaction score
Thanks for the double offset idea creates extra working space. Local hd did not have any offset pipes so probably use PVC/ABS for the two 45 degree bend extensions and using PVC/ABS for the AAV pipe and sanitary tee already.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the double offset idea creates extra working space. Local hd did not have any offset pipes so probably use PVC/ABS for the two 45 degree bend extensions and using PVC/ABS for the AAV pipe and sanitary tee already.
The problem with that is that you already have a trap adapter at the floor. I don't think you have enough pipe to glue to a new fitting at the floor, unless you can access from below.

fiat84b

Reaction score
Your correct have no access from below so will need to reuse the 1-1/4" floor slip joint connection with either a trap adapter, or a 1-1/4" pipe feed initially. Then build up the ABS bend connections as needed to fit. While at the closest HD did dry fit the ABS connections as per attached picture. That HD only had 3"+ PVC fittings, and only PVC AAV's which have slightly too big an opening to fit snugly onto a 1-1/2" ABS pipe, but the PVC AAV did fit snugly in a 1-1/2" PVC pipe.

Attachments

• Floor drain ABS connections.jpg
    Floor drain ABS connections.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 200
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks