Replace cast iron trap with PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

mhopper

Reaction score
I recently completed renovating a shower in a pier and beam home from the 50's

The shower has been dormant for close to 2 years. When I went to use it for the first time after the renovation, the drain clogged and backed up.

I tried to use a hand auger to clear the trap, but it seems fairly solidly clogged, so I had an inclination to replace the P trap. It is cast iron, and I would replace it with PVC, which the shower drain starts out as initially.

I have posted some pictures and have some questions about the task. I have no waste plumbing experience and this is my home.

I assume that I can cut the cast iron pipe (2-1/2 inches) with a soil pipe cutter downstream of where the P trap connects to the run that leads away from the shower and replace all the cast iron with a PVC trap of the same diameter as the cast iron and connect the CI to the PVC with (from what I have read on this forum) "Mission style" no-hub couplings. I assume that I should replace the existing coupling that now connects the shower drain PVC to the cast iron.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan for a first timer? Thanks for any help!

Pictures attached:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would cut the Cast Iron with a sawzall instead of snapping it.
Use either a Lenox Gold 14 tpi blade, a carbide blade or, a Lenox Diamond Blade.
Sometimes snappers crush tender old cast iron instead of cutting it.
Use banded couplings...

mhopper

Reaction score
Thanks Redwood. I used a diamond blade on the sawzall and it only took about 5 minutes. The CI seems to be in good shape. I used some no-hub couplings to hook up a new PVC p-trap and all appears to be well.

Thanks for the advice.