Removing Broken Windows

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm working on a 15 y.o. prefab. home and want to remove 3 broken windows. They slide up and down inside the window frame. They have spring-loaded pins on the bottom corners to keep the window locked in place and on the top corners they have plastic guides.

I've tried squeezing the springloaded locking pins in as far as they will go, but the pins still hit the window frame, so I can't get these single-pane windows out. Any ideas how to remove these windows without prying the heck out of the frame? These are double hung windows, but they don't have any balance rods. The window sash is bronze aluminum as well as the muntin bars. Since there's only one pane of glass, the muntin bars are just for show, since they're not separating 2 panes of glass.
Here's some photos:

Attachments

• Windows 003-filtre.jpg
    Windows 003-filtre.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 481
  • Windows 005-filtre.jpg
    Windows 005-filtre.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 440
  • Windows 006-filtre.jpg
    Windows 006-filtre.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

RRW

Reaction score
In my windows the plastic track has enough give to unlock the top corners of the windows. At any rate you need to unlock the top corners somehow. once they are out, tip the window horizontal and then lift one side util the pin comes out of the track to remove the window.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
windows

Often, for security purposes, the window has to be raised to a specific point where provision has been made for the pins to pass through the opening.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought of that, too. But there were no notches in the frame to allow the pins to pull out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks